Lowering a Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
The kits supplied bumpstops are roughly 2 3/4...Im debating if I should trim them to 2" even or hack the bracket off tomorrow... Hmm

On mine, that would cut factory suspension travel in half! We might be on to something...

If I were you, I'd measure from bumpstop to axel stock...install the kit as-is...measure again...drive it...if it sucks, then start hacking by shaving off a quarter inch at a time from the bump stops and see if ride improves...if you start hearing CLINK...then move to cutting the brackets.

But I did notice last night that there is a pretty big ECU mounted back there...not sure if its in all of them or if its Hybrid related...I'd make sure your clearances are ok before hacking off the brackets though. We've got a lot more wires and electronic parts to watch clearances on. I would hate to make an ECU into a REALLY expensive bumpstop!

OP
OP
B

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On mine, that would cut factory suspension travel in half! We might be on to something...

If I were you, I'd measure from bumpstop to axel stock...install the kit as-is...measure again...drive it...if it sucks, then start hacking by shaving off a quarter inch at a time from the bump stops and see if ride improves...if you start hearing CLINK...then move to cutting the brackets.

But I did notice last night that there is a pretty big ECU mounted back there...not sure if its in all of them or if its Hybrid related...I'd make sure your clearances are ok before hacking off the brackets though. We've got a lot more wires and electronic parts to watch clearances on. I would hate to make an ECU into a REALLY expensive bumpstop!

GOod deal.. Yeah mine is a hybrid as well.. I will start by installing the kit as is and then going from there. Hahaha, yeah i def dont want that too happen. This will be my first truck lowering kit install... Ive knocked out plenty of car lowering springs and coilovers, but have never messed w a truck. From what i hear though its a cinch.. Keep you guys posted...

OP
OP
B

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the install yesterday... Thank you Tony for answering my questions during the process... I ordered the kit for autoride thinking my car had it but it doesnt. I didnt use the rear spacer and used belltech's bumpstops.

To me the ride is just as good if not better than stock. Im not sure if not having autoride makes the difference between mine and Soulsea, but I have no real complaints. The ride sits almost perfectly level. I wish I could have went down maybe another 1/2" in the front, but ill see how it looks once I throw my wheels on.

I may swap out the factory shocks for some nicer ones down the road and add a thicker sway bar in the rear to take away from some of the play. But all in all I am satisfied with the kit:)

Pics to come shortly. I have my grilles coming in tuesday and she needs a bath badly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne