Lowering a Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All you need to do is cut the rear bumpstop brackets and its completly fine nothign hard about it.

OP
OP
B

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got pics of those 24's?! I'm looking for some matte black 24's and having a hard time finding the ones I'm picturing...well...I found them but they are about $2k per wheel!

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

I'm going to take some stock measurements of untouched hybrid suspension, ride height, clearances and weight before I start modding...I'll share results if somebody out there has an OEM setup, maybe we can compare notes and figure out exactly where your drop turned non-standard!

I'm most curious about wheel weight!!! How "special" really are the hybrid rims?! GM doesnt publish the weight anywhere!! I'll start that in another thread though.

Sumo..notice any MPG changes going from the hybrid wheels to OEM 22's?

Check your PM.. Sending you pics! Let me know your thoughts:Handshake:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Nothing that scream Major MPG difference. A 2 hour trip mostly all highway i was averaging 18.5mpg according to the dic. Still in the same range as my 20 and with 17.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is cut the rear bumpstop brackets and its completly fine nothign hard about it.

Tony, I'm a little put off with the certainty with which you say that. You claim to have dealt with "many" hybrids yet this suggestion wasn't mentioned by you until AFTER I pointed out my ride quality issues. If I remember correctly you said to me, as you say to everyone, buy this kit and you're good to go.

Given the fact that cutting the brackets was never mentioned by you as a possibility before I bought my kit, it is reasonable to believe that as far as you knew it wasn't an issue. Given this fact, perhaps it would be wise to display a little more caution when advising someone to take to cutting up their truck.

Yes, MAYBE cutting the brackets MAY resolve this issue on hybrids, but it is by no means a certainty. How you can speak on the matter with such assurance as a solution to a problem you were unaware of to begin with, is worrisome. Or were you aware of it and chose to omit it when I purchased my kit?

I have no issue with the products you sell and how you transact business, I was very happy with both ... I simply wasn't happy with the resulting ride quality. Therefore taking the kit off was a personal choice. But at least say that your 'best guess' is that cutting the brackets is the solution to the problem because the fact of the matter is that that's all it is, you simply don't know.

Regards.

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
Just took a few measurements. There is 2.75" in the rear before the bumpstop hits with the OEM Hybrid suspension.

Looks like the factory bumpstop is about 5.5" long with 4" exposed and 1.5" non-exposed.

Also, the front is exactly 1" lower than the rear. With 23" from center of hub to fender in the rear and 22" in the front....21" bottom of trailer hitch to ground.

Anybody know the specs on the bumpstop in the kit?

OP
OP
B

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will measure tomorrow if you d like. Kit should be here sometime tom morning. What are we trying to accomplish or discover? Is it whether or not the supplied bumpstops are long enough?

Mr Ghostrider

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why it was riding so tough in the back. I think we've all decided it was most likely just the bumpstops and that cutting them off at the bracket would obviously fix it...but I'm wondering if you just put in some really small bumps if that would work also?

From the measurements, it sounds like a 4" drop should be really close to factory travel specs if the kit used 2" bumpstops..or less. If they were 4" bumpstops..then yeah..its gonna ride rough.

I also like the idea of returning to 100% stock at some point..if it takes a little more planning ahead of time...I'm all for it.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out why it was riding so tough in the back. I think we've all decided it was most likely just the bumpstops and that cutting them off at the bracket would obviously fix it...but I'm wondering if you just put in some really small bumps if that would work also?

From the measurements, it sounds like a 4" drop should be really close to factory travel specs if the kit used 2" bumpstops..or less. If they were 4" bumpstops..then yeah..its gonna ride rough.

I also like the idea of returning to 100% stock at some point..if it takes a little more planning ahead of time...I'm all for it.

for a 4 inch or more drop you need to cut the brackets in the rear plain and simple. you cant use a short short bumpstop becuse the axle will hit the frame before the bumpstop has a chance to do its job on the bumpstop pad.

rear kit you just put in with no spacers
cut the bracket off

dont and rides great. Mate it up with the belltech street performance shocks ride gets better.

on the trucks I do i cut the brackte off and the energy suspension 3/8 bumpstops on the frame and when customers return it in from lease put the stok springs back in and shocks and not one dealership has asked "why are the brackets cut" no one notices

OP
OP
B

B.G.

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The kits supplied bumpstops are roughly 2 3/4...Im debating if I should trim them to 2" even or hack the bracket off tomorrow... Hmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts