Lowering 08 LTZ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alberto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wanted to see what is the lowest you can go in the front of a 08 Tahoe LTZ without having to change the struts to lowering struts? I don’t want to have to go thru having to use bypass or resistors or what not.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3" lower control arms, 2" spindles (probably 1.5" actually) and 1"-3" for springs... You can lower it more than one should be lowerd for a static drop and keep the OEM struts.

"Going through" having to use a couple of $2 resistors is far easier than going through balljoints and quirky steering characteristics.

OP
OP
Alberto

Alberto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
3" lower control arms, 2" spindles (probably 1.5" actually) and 1"-3" for springs... You can lower it more than one should be lowerd for a static drop and keep the OEM struts.

"Going through" having to use a couple of $2 resistors is far easier than going through balljoints and quirky steering characteristics.

I really want to do a 3/4 drop as I like the rake. I’ve seen many of these that have 2/4 and the back looks like it’s lower and I don’t like the look. If you go down to 3” in the front you can keep the OE strut?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...If you go down to 3” in the front you can keep the OE strut?

Sure can. First off, MEASURE ALL FOUR CORNERS TO SEE HOW YOUR TAHOE SITS NOW, before you do any suspension work. Not all sit exactly the same. For a 3/4 drop, go with spindles and drop spacers from McGaughy, part number 34062. You keep your stock struts AND coils so it rides the same, just sits lower. The spacers drop up to 2", but they come with rings so you can adjust them for less drop- 1.5" or 1" net drop. Since the spindles may not drop it a full 2" (probably more like 1.5"-1.75"), you can use the adjustable relocators to account for that. You can also drop the driver's side more or the passenger side less to account for the "Chevy Lean" (driver's side being about 1/2" lower from the factory). Install the spindles and rear drop coils, go for a spirited drive to settle the suspension, then measure all four corners to determine how much further to drop the front.

http://mcgaughys.com/products/front-adjsutable-rings-and-spacers-34062

I have an '08 LTZ as well and I was aiming for a 4/4 when I dropped mine a few months back. Because the spindles and struts didn't drop their full respective 2", I ended up with more of a 3.25" front drop. The rear is a 4" drop with Jeep TJ coils. I plan to drop the front and rear about .5" - .75" more.

Here's the post in my build thread showing the drop: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-39#post-1395640

You can go back a few pages to see the process.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You can also get a 1.5 - 2" drop by mounting the lower strut mount UNDER the control arm instead of on top of it.

Just be sure to use Grade 9 hardware so you don't break the bolts and have issues.

Rough Country sells a 2" drop for the front end that consists of the Grade 9 hardware and a .25" spacer to go between the control arm and strut.

downloadfile-175.jpg

Part number for the hardware is on the bag... Rough Country shipped them to me for $20-$25.

Combine that with the 2" drop spindles and you can keep your auto ride struts.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ I forget about those. So, 1.5" drop just bolts, 2" drop with the spacer.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
^^^ I forget about those. So, 1.5" drop just bolts, 2" drop with the spacer.

That's the rumor... I didn't exactly measure mine before and after and I didn't use a spacer. I would say it really depends on how thick the lower crossbar is on the struts you are using are. The thicker the crossbar the lower the truck will be. Also steel VS aluminum control arms may play into the equation as well because the pad the strut sits on may be thicker between the two... mine are steel but I've never compared the control arms side by side.

My Rancho 9 way adjustable struts seem to have a pretty thick crossbar, but again I didn't measure those either.

OP
OP
Alberto

Alberto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sure can. First off, MEASURE ALL FOUR CORNERS TO SEE HOW YOUR TAHOE SITS NOW, before you do any suspension work. Not all sit exactly the same. For a 3/4 drop, go with spindles and drop spacers from McGaughy, part number 34062. You keep your stock struts AND coils so it rides the same, just sits lower. The spacers drop up to 2", but they come with rings so you can adjust them for less drop- 1.5" or 1" net drop. Since the spindles may not drop it a full 2" (probably more like 1.5"-1.75"), you can use the adjustable relocators to account for that. You can also drop the driver's side more or the passenger side less to account for the "Chevy Lean" (driver's side being about 1/2" lower from the factory). Install the spindles and rear drop coils, go for a spirited drive to settle the suspension, then measure all four corners to determine how much further to drop the front.

http://mcgaughys.com/products/front-adjsutable-rings-and-spacers-34062

I have an '08 LTZ as well and I was aiming for a 4/4 when I dropped mine a few months back. Because the spindles and struts didn't drop their full respective 2", I ended up with more of a 3.25" front drop. The rear is a 4" drop with Jeep TJ coils. I plan to drop the front and rear about .5" - .75" more.

Here's the post in my build thread showing the drop: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/growing-up-doesnt-have-to-suck.93510/page-39#post-1395640

You can go back a few pages to see the process.

Wow. The one where yours is sitting on 3.25/4 looks perfect for my taste. That’s where I want mine to be. It has just a tad of rake but sits perfectly. Nice drop. That’s the route I want to go with.

OP
OP
Alberto

Alberto

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can also get a 1.5 - 2" drop by mounting the lower strut mount UNDER the control arm instead of on top of it.

Just be sure to use Grade 9 hardware so you don't break the bolts and have
issues.

Rough Country sells a 2" drop for the front end that consists of the Grade 9 hardware and a .25" spacer to go between the control arm and strut.

View attachment 246625

Part number for the hardware is on the bag... Rough Country shipped them to me for $20-$25.

Combine that with the 2" drop spindles and you can keep your auto ride struts.
That's the rumor... I didn't exactly measure mine before and after and I didn't use a spacer. I would say it really depends on how thick the lower crossbar is on the struts you are using are. The thicker the crossbar the lower the truck will be. Also steel VS aluminum control arms may play into the equation as well because the pad the strut sits on may be thicker between the two... mine are steel but I've never compared the control arms side by side.

My Rancho 9 way adjustable struts seem to have a pretty thick crossbar, but again I didn't measure those either.

Thanks for your advise. I appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish