Lowered Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I recently bought this Tahoe , it has a 4 inch drop in the rear , do you think as long as I get the correct shock it would get rid of the moving side to side when I’m at around 65 mph
I will be checking the front just as you have told me

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front doesn’t feel bad , the front is lowered an inch . In the rear it feels as if there is no shock , it makes sense now that tonyrodz explained it to me , how the shocks that are on it right now are no good , I’m going to get the bilsteins.

Them KYB Excel-G shocks seem to be junk in any form. I put some Excel-G struts on a compact car- super stiff.

I meant have you checked the end links in the front, regardless of the amount of lowering. They're a common wear item and are often broken and not even noticed. Check the condition of the jounce stops. They look like bump stops.

*EDIT* I see Fless has already got your back on this.

LordWayback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Them KYB Excel-G shocks seem to be junk in any form. I put some Excel-G struts on a compact car- super stiff.

I meant have you checked the end links in the front, regardless of the amount of lowering. They're a common wear item and are often broken and not even noticed. Check the condition of the jounce stops. They look like bump stops.

*EDIT* I see Fless has already got your back on this.

I crashed a shitbox with those things the steering reaction is garbage.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember what part number I got. Will you keep the current springs that you have now? If they're the stock ZW7 springs that's probably the other half of your issue. You need to know what springs you have to know which shock to order.

OP
OP
E

Edwardnavalo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use an adjustable set that came with my Hellwig swaybars.View attachment 378811View attachment 378812
I honestly don't remember what part number I got. Will you keep the current springs that you have now? If they're the stock ZW7 springs that's probably the other half of your issue. You need to know what springs you have to know which shock to order.
Im honestly not sure which ones I have ,all the previous owner told me it was on a 4 inch drop in the rear . Do you think I should just get the ones that pop up for the year make and model of my Tahoe ? Do I need shorter shocks ? Or would the ones with the Oem length be ok? As long as they are for zw7 suspension . I’m guessing I still have the zw7 and maybe that’s why I’m having the problems I have

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Im honestly not sure which ones I have ,all the previous owner told me it was on a 4 inch drop in the rear . Do you think I should just get the ones that pop up for the year make and model of my Tahoe ? Do I need shorter shocks ? Or would the ones with the Oem length be ok? As long as they are for zw7 suspension . I’m guessing I still have the zw7 and maybe that’s why I’m having the problems I have
Can you ask the former owner what springs are in it? I totally deleted all of the ZW7 rear components from mine. I bought a lowering kit from crownsuspension.com. Iirc, it was a 2/3 kit. Came with front lowering keys, rear lowering springs and lowering shock brackets. Think everything was under $300. You can use stock length rear shocks if you use those shock brackets. It rides ok, but if you hit a big bump or dip at speed it'll bottom out, so you just need to go slow over those. Once I did all this I've had no issues. You might have to start from scratch--which might not be a bad thing. At least you'll know what's there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe1844