Lowered Tahoe takes bumps in rear too hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking this is the cause of your bottoming out. Those springs are too soft. Sure, the ride is nice and cushy, but they let the rear travel too far over average bumps. Try ~5 psi in those bags. It shouldn't lift any more than about 1/2" or so. Drive for a few days around your normal areas and see if there's any reduction in the bumping.

If so, and if you really need that ~1/2" of drop back, you can just cut off one or two of those compressed coils on the spring. This will lower the rear the wire thickness of the coil while not changing the way that it rides. Those compressed coils are basically just acting like spacers. So, it'll be a little lower than it is now with no pressure in the bags. But, with a little pressure in them, it'll be back where it sits now and be closer to the factory spring rate. Really, this is exactly how the factory Auto-Leveling Control works. The rear springs in ALC-equipped trucks are a hair softer than those in the standard suspension. The air bags on the shocks are kept at around 5psi minimum at all times. This keeps the air bags in their proper shape as well as supplements the slightly "weaker" springs so that, collectively, the system has the same load capacity.

I’m about to leave in a few and try the 5 psi you suggested. I have tried a little air in them but didn’t want to raise the rear end.

Relly rell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It seems that everyone has the same issue with Lowndes including myself ...with the harsh throwing around me and whom ever I have in the truck when I go over bumps ...does anyone know the 4600 series model number that will fit on the rear on the Lowhoe..I currently have the belltech streets on ..willing to try anything to get rid of or lesser the bumpy stuff

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It seems that everyone has the same issue with Lowndes including myself ...with the harsh throwing around me and whom ever I have in the truck when I go over bumps ...does anyone know the 4600 series model number that will fit on the rear on the Lowhoe..I currently have the belltech streets on ..willing to try anything to get rid of or lesser the bumpy stuff
They do. I have them in mine, and I'm lowered also. Compared to what I had before, they did stiffen it up some.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Belltech coils and have the same problem with both of my trucks. The progressive springs are all touching each other. I bought McGhaughy's 3" springs and they raised my SWB 1.5" but I'm wondering if they'll do better in my LWB due to the extra weight. I'm considering buying a set of MaxTrac 4" rear springs and if they're too low I should be able to use the Belltech spacer.

richie818

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the belltech kit 2/4 drop no issues I did do the free travel mod that helps a lot even on 3” drop in rear I’m running belstein 4600 all the way around and belltech 5305 springs in the rear djm swaybar ends links , rides really good .

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the belltech kit 2/4 drop no issues I did do the free travel mod that helps a lot even on 3” drop in rear I’m running belstein 4600 all the way around and belltech 5305 springs in the rear djm swaybar ends links , rides really good .
Do you have pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2