Lower thermostats, really needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Nelson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is a design flaw so much as the setup does not take into account the high oil temperatures that arise as a result of heavy towing. Those high oil temperatures yield higher than expected oil vapor content, which results in a damaged MAF sensor more often than not. The vast majority of owners have no idea whatsoever that they have a very critical sensor that is reading 15-25% off.
Is there a solution to this problem with the 6.0s? I just picked up a 2011 GMC Yukon XL 2500 and will be towing with it.

Thanks,

Paul

Cbark2305

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 6.2 denali and runs at 210...is this normal? Seems a little warm to me

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is a design flaw so much as the setup does not take into account the high oil temperatures that arise as a result of heavy towing. Those high oil temperatures yield higher than expected oil vapor content, which results in a damaged MAF sensor more often than not. The vast majority of owners have no idea whatsoever that they have a very critical sensor that is reading 15-25% off.
I realize this a old thread, however can you explain how oil vapor is reaching the MAF sensor? did you mean MAP sensor? or something else?

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize this a old thread, however can you explain how oil vapor is reaching the MAF sensor? did you mean MAP sensor? or something else?
Happy to answer any questions. On engine shut down that vapor permeates the entire intake tube. Upwards of 80% of vehicles used for heavy towing we see in person have to have the MAF cleaned or replaced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts