Lower my 96 2dr 4wd for better handling?? help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i been driving my truck for a few weeks now and its fun but the thing handles like shit. i gotta slow waaaaaaaaaaaay down when hitting corners and it rained in los angeles yesterday and it sucked driving on the wet streets the thing was all over the place.

i want to get some better handling from this thing. i took a ride in my buddys 84 el camino with strut bars and hotchkis suspension and he took corners at 40 with no body roll! i want that. im thinkin lowering this much.

0908trweb_31_z2009_hooters_spencive_rydes_truck_showcustom_chevy_tahoe_2_door.jpg

i would like to just do some bolt ons maybe. how can i lover my truck and get better handling on the road without welding and doing any major fabrication??

dantheman421

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well if you want to get your 4x4 lower than 3/4 drop, you are going to have to change to 2wd. Do you have OEM sway bars? I have hotchins front and rear sway bars on my 97 yukon that has 3/4 drop. Handles nice. Especially with the polyurethane bushing kit. Ive hear alot about belltechs sway bars and im hoping to switch over to them once i get some extra cash.

OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you want to get your 4x4 lower than 3/4 drop, you are going to have to change to 2wd. Do you have OEM sway bars? I have hotchins front and rear sway bars on my 97 yukon that has 3/4 drop. Handles nice. Especially with the polyurethane bushing kit. Ive hear alot about belltechs sway bars and im hoping to switch over to them once i get some extra cash.

yea i plan to remove the 4wd i was going to keep it but yesterday when it was raining i activated it and when i stopped it smelt like it was trans oil burning. but for now ill leave it 4wd til i can get a new trans and drive shaft. but i wanna go maybe as low as the picture nothing drastic just enough where the handling it better. i think the truck has the front sway bars which the rim hits on one side during a u turn and no rear sway bar.

i pan to re do the bushings soon just been lazy. but after that i was going to use those torsion keys to lower the front but how do i lower the rear? and where can i order the sway bars and suspension? is there a write up on how to install this stuff?

dantheman421

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up this lowering kit, it will also fit your truck.
http://belltech-store.com/main-cat-...hoe-yukon-2dr-4w-1-3-f-3-5-r-w-sp-shocks.html

I got this same kit off CL for $175. You probably wont find it that cheap, but if you take the time you definitely can find the same kit for cheaper.

This kit gives you new leaf springs for the rear. If you want to save some money, you can just use shackles.

As far as installation. I still have the installation guide to this kit. If you need it i could scan it for you.

OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up this lowering kit, it will also fit your truck.
http://belltech-store.com/main-cat-...hoe-yukon-2dr-4w-1-3-f-3-5-r-w-sp-shocks.html

I got this same kit off CL for $175. You probably wont find it that cheap, but if you take the time you definitely can find the same kit for cheaper.

This kit gives you new leaf springs for the rear. If you want to save some money, you can just use shackles.

As far as installation. I still have the installation guide to this kit. If you need it i could scan it for you.

what are shackles? im clueless ot this suspension stuff. and what about the sway bars?

dantheman421

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A sway bar or anti-roll bar is a part of your suspension. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring. A sway bar increases the suspension's roll stiffness—its resistance to roll in turns, independent of its spring rate in the vertical direction.

Hangers are the bracket that the front of the leaf spring is bolted to (leaf springs are a main suspension component for the rear end of most trucks). When you buy a new hanger to lower your truck, you are buying a hanger that locates the front half of the leaf spring higher on the frame and therefore lowers your truck. For the geometry of your truck suspension to remain optimal, it is also necessary to change out the shackles to replace your factory ones, which is why hangers and shackles are almost always sold together. Buying hangers and shackles is one of multiple ways to lower the rear of a truck that utilizes a leaf spring suspension setup.

OP
OP
stuntmanray385

stuntmanray385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A sway bar or anti-roll bar is a part of your suspension. It connects opposite (left/right) wheels together through short lever arms linked by a torsion spring. A sway bar increases the suspension's roll stiffness—its resistance to roll in turns, independent of its spring rate in the vertical direction.

Hangers are the bracket that the front of the leaf spring is bolted to (leaf springs are a main suspension component for the rear end of most trucks). When you buy a new hanger to lower your truck, you are buying a hanger that locates the front half of the leaf spring higher on the frame and therefore lowers your truck. For the geometry of your truck suspension to remain optimal, it is also necessary to change out the shackles to replace your factory ones, which is why hangers and shackles are almost always sold together. Buying hangers and shackles is one of multiple ways to lower the rear of a truck that utilizes a leaf spring suspension setup.

ok coo makes sense. now where can i purchase this stuff. im ballin on a budget.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Belltech make a stiffer sway bar for the front and back of the Tahoe. Get your part number together and "Google shopping" it for price comparison.

95denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey! I have an idea! I will trade you my Belltech front hangers and rear shackles for your stock ones. My 2 dr Yukon was lowered when I bought it and I wanted to go the opposite direction. The only problem lies if it is your DD like mine is. The vehicles would be down while the parts are being shipped. Let me know if you are interested. We could work something out.

Last edited: