Lower intake leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kelsda

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake manifold gasket has a couple weak points in the corners. Mines pretty much always leaked some from the front and the back. The sealing tabs I posted above are actually listed in my owners manual. Stops the coolant in mine from reaching the floor, although it still weeps.

Seems like you will need to head back to the mechanic that did the work.

Here's pics of the front of mine from years back before I changed the water pump. It leaks where the intake manifold meets the head. I've not done mine because I have nowhere to do it. Every time I change a decent amount of coolant I put two tabs in before I take the truck on a run.

View attachment 258232 View attachment 258233
Intake manifold gasket has a couple weak points in the corners. Mines pretty much always leaked some from the front and the back. The sealing tabs I posted above are actually listed in my owners manual. Stops the coolant in mine from reaching the floor, although it still weeps.

Seems like you will need to head back to the mechanic that did the work.

Here's pics of the front of mine from years back before I changed the water pump. It leaks where the intake manifold meets the head. I've not done mine because I have nowhere to do it. Every time I change a decent amount of coolant I put two tabs in before I take the truck on a run.

Ok thanks did the job myself that’s the problem keeps coming back to me
View attachment 258232 View attachment 258233

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it seals itself up when the truck is warm you might try the sealing tabs. Could also try torquing the manifold down again. Or you're gonna have to pull it apart and pay more attention to the corners with the RTV.

OP
OP
Kelsda

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As it seals itself up when the truck is warm you might try the sealing tabs. Could also try torquing the manifold down again. Or you're gonna have to pull it apart and pay more attention to the corners with the RTV.
How are those sealing tabs on the rest of the system Like clogging up the heater core like the rabbit pellets and how many do I use will try torquing down Again leak appears to be coming from gasket

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are those sealing tabs on the rest of the system Like clogging up the heater core like the rabbit pellets and how many do I use will try torquing down Again leak appears to be coming from gasket
Says to use two. I've had more than two in total in my system and I've had no issues. Been using them for at least 5 years now. But obviously fixing it properly is better than using them.

Like I already said, these are listed in my owners manual. I normally crumble them into the rad before I'm going on a decent journey to make sure it all dissolves. It's made basically from ground nutmeg shells and silica IIRC.

IMG_6107.JPG

PS.
It's not an instant fix. It takes a few hot cold cycles for it to build up. The silica dries and creates a kind of crust. I can see it around the heater hoses at the firewall. My intake was pretty much sealed until I raced a new Jeep Sahara recently with my foot to the floor on a stinking hot evening. I had fluid on the floor for a few days. Stopped now.

Last edited:

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One last thing, bad gasket can cause oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Make sure that's not happening.

OP
OP
Kelsda

Kelsda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input found leak was that quick connect on heater hose was new 8 months ago not really thinking it was that was searching for an hour or two with a mirror like wtf where is this leak and removed air box and hose and voila there it was running under valve cover edge down between lower intake Down the back of the engine so now I need a fix for that. Bought another 8 dollar connector leak free for now Any one know off hand what connector to purchase I know they are out there Jeggs sells a treaded fitting with one end barbed

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the barbed fitting on these- But the original tube is larger diameter than the recommended drill diameter for pipe threads. Choices here are very light torque and full epoxy in threads or go to 1inch barb. The epoxy seems to work as I've seen it frequently. I suppose there is a metric or BSE fitting about that size, but taps are expensive.