Lower Control Arm Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Any and every time you do suspension and/or steering work, you should have alignment at least checked and aligned as needed. If you do get aligned or checked, insist on a printout of the before and after readings and post that here, please.

By the way, if I have not said it, welcome to the forum.

If you are staying with a stock set up, please tell me you are replacing with Genuine GM or AC Delco and if is AC Delco, those parts are likely Moog anyway.

If is in need or close on the front brakes, is a perfect time for replacement.

OP
OP
W

wtx806

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any and every time you do suspension and/or steering work, you should have alignment at least checked and aligned as needed. If you do get aligned or checked, insist on a printout of the before and after readings and post that here, please.

By the way, if I have not said it, welcome to the forum.

If you are staying with a stock set up, please tell me you are replacing with Genuine GM or AC Delco and if is AC Delco, those parts are likely Moog anyway.

If is in need or close on the front brakes, is a perfect time for replacement.
Thank you. Yes, I try to replace with AC Delco professional when I change out. As an 03, 205k original owner z71, it is becoming more frequent on repairs. However, she has been a champ and have decided to keep her.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I try to replace with AC Delco professional when I change out. As an 03, 205k original owner z71, it is becoming more frequent on repairs. However, she has been a champ and have decided to keep her.
After all the preventative work I have done to my 2005 Z71, see my build thread, it would take a lot of money to pry the keys out of my hands. A recent 5500 mile trip in 15 days yielded absolutely no problems and made me love this rig even more. Your 03 will pay you back if you treat it right.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I replace the lower control arms, does it require an alignment afterwards?
Yes. Your new control arms will have or need new bushings as well as a lower ball joint installed. The vehicle was previously aligned with the old bushings and ball joint so things have changed in the frontend now and a realignment will need to be done.

Buggdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing the lower control arms is a beast of a job, but as others have said, if you are planning on keeping her, get good quality OEM parts. They pay for themselves in the long run. Your original ones lasted 200k. No reason my your replacements should not last that long as well.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing the lower control arms is a beast of a job, but as others have said, if you are planning on keeping her, get good quality OEM parts. They pay for themselves in the long run. Your original ones lasted 200k. No reason my your replacements should not last that long as well.
Replacing the lower control arms isnt a tough job at all. Its the uppers that can be a total pain. Those eccentric bolts and nuts get frozen up enough to where you cant get them loose then the pain begins. On my Tahoe we just could not get them to loosen up. A torch didnt even help until we used the torch to cut them off.

My friend works on semis for a living and he taught me a quick n dirty trick on the control arm bushings that he does with semis (they are much bigger). If you are replacing the bushings but not the arms then just catch the old bushings on fire (once control arm is removed) and the bushings fall right out instead of wasting time knocking them out with a press. Then clean up melted rubber with a wire wheel and press new bushings in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts