Lower ball joints on 15 tahoe 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeramia

Reaction score
Did a search and could not find the answer. Can the lower A arm and ball joint be removed without, removing the CV joint, shaft? Looks close, to not being to clear Thanks Jerry

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

The lower ball joint has to come up and out of the spindle. The installed cv axle will be in the way of doing that.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like if you live in the rust belt that you will be working your butt off with just hand tools. Do you have powerful air tools? It may be more than what you want to tackle if you have not done this type of work before. you tube helps with the knowledge though. It really is pretty straight forward. 35+ years in shops and I have done literally gobs of them.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a search and could not find the answer. Can the lower A arm and ball joint be removed without, removing the CV joint, shaft? Looks close, to not being to clear Thanks Jerry

I think it takes about 7 tons of pressure to press in the new ball joint. I considered replacing our own until I read that. Much easier and less expensive to change the whole arm if one does not have the air/tools to do the ball joints.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it takes about 7 tons of pressure to press in the new ball joint. I considered replacing our own until I read that. Much easier and less expensive to change the whole arm if one does not have the air/tools to do the ball joints.
I have done it with a big breaker bar and a press tool set from Autozone but I would definitely go with a whole assembly next time. My shoulders were sore for a week.

OP
OP
Jeramia

Jeramia

Reaction score

The lower ball joint has to come up and out of the spindle. The installed cv axle will be in the way of doing that.
Great video. thanks for sharing Question-the flange on the cv joint were it bolts to the diff. Is that the same on the newer Tahoe's? thanks Jerry

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like it is. You did not say what year your rig is so I looked at a 2017.

Last edited:

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to bring up an old thread but I can’t seem to find an answer…. Are the ball joints on the 15-20 trucks serviceable or do you have to replace the entire control arm? I can only find lower ball joints. No uppers

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2015-20 model years:
UCAs are assembled with ball joint - new UCAs is our option for new upper ball joint
LCAs can have the ball joint replaced

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts