Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

ntymd8r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Didn’t feel like troubleshooting one thing after another and increasing time and $$. Did all this in one shot over about 20-25 hours of wrenching $400.00 in parts:

Pulled:

Water pump, thermostat, harmonic balancer, timing cover, oil pump, oil pan, oil relief valve, pick up tube, oil sending sensor and screen, cross member and dropped rack/pinion.

Put on:

New water pump and new gaskets, new thermostat and seal, harmonic balancer, timing cover, new seal and new gasket, new oil pump, oil pan and new gasket, new oil relief valve, oil pick up tube and new o-ring, new oil sending unit and new screen, reinstalled crossmember and rack/pinion and primed the new oil pump through the galley port. Torqued everything to spec. It was an involved job but very rewarding because on start up, she feels and sounds like new. Oil pressure back up to normal and no warning lights. No unusual sounds or leaks after 100 miles so far! Very happy with doing this myself and saving the thousands of dollars it would have cost.

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Didn’t feel like troubleshooting one thing after another and increasing time and $$. Did all this in one shot over about 20-25 hours of wrenching $400.00 in parts:

Pulled:

Water pump, thermostat, harmonic balancer, timing cover, oil pump, oil pan, oil relief valve, pick up tube, oil sending sensor and screen, cross member and dropped rack/pinion.

Put on:

New water pump and new gaskets, new thermostat and seal, harmonic balancer, timing cover, new seal and new gasket, new oil pump, oil pan and new gasket, new oil relief valve, oil pick up tube and new o-ring, new oil sending unit and new screen, reinstalled crossmember and rack/pinion and primed the new oil pump through the galley port. Torqued everything to spec. It was an involved job but very rewarding because on start up, she feels and sounds like new. Oil pressure back up to normal and no warning lights. No unusual sounds or leaks after 100 miles so far! Very happy with doing this myself and saving the thousands of dollars it would have cost.
AWESOME!!! Well done, and thank you for following up!

Roger906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

I’ve read a bunch about the screen and sender unit. But I think that’s good. Also pondering the o-ring and oil pump. My added difference is the “shutter and engine self shut off”, which scared the heck out me. It will start again. Just self shuts off after a bit. I’m gonna try it again tomorrow to see what it does. I’ve read oil filter and oil could be culprit, too. Used GM Dexos from day one with AC Delco filters. This last go around I changed to a FRAM and Mobil 1 (Dexos approved) because of inflation. Used this in my 01 Camaro and never had an issue but could that be it??? I’ll update tomorrow with what I find in the filter.
I don't think I've ever heard ANYONE bad mouth Mobil 1. It's a good product.

Roger906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Pulled:

Put on:

Well you pretty much almost covered everything my 250k + 5.3 needed! I don't wanna jinx ya...but exhaust manifold bolts and knock sensors in the intake valley too. Also, I lived in the rust belt....fuel n brake lines.

Roger906

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Change the oil filter to an AC or Wix... The fram filter (or any brand) could have
an issue, be clogged with debris, or failed...
That's where i'd start. $10
I don't care for/ or will ever use a fram oil filter on anything of mine or the others I work on.
But that's my deal.. Others are ok with fram... I've had bad experiences and will never spend $ on
them again.
I had a Fram once that had a pin hole leak from manufacturing defect. I had owned the vehicle awhile n did my own changes regularly. So.....I didn't check oil much, if at all between changes, as the vehicle never used any. And then. One cold dark winter night I was driving looking for the family dog and noticed the idiot light dimly coming on and going out for oil pressure. Found dog. Parked vehicle. Pulled dip stick next day, and nuttin. Grrrr! Looked underneath and on the 318 Mopar it only took a glance to see it was near the filter. Wiped filter added oil n checked for leak. Pencil lead sized weep coming out of the top seam!!!
I wasn't concerned about motor damage cuz I've personally abused these things in several different vehicles and machines! A flicker on the idiot light is about as worrisome as a cloudy day!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter