Low oil pressure but no noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have Oil Pressure if you didn't you would know it like Rockola mentioned. If you have ever done a oil change but did not fill your oil filter before you installed it you may have heard a lifter tick for just a few seconds then it goes away when the filter is full of oil and the engine has pressure.

E-Diddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my experiences:
I've had a 2002 gmc yukon with 5.3L, made lifter noises when first starting, especially when cold outside, since i got it with 90,000 miles. Oil pressure is over 40 psi at idle, mobil 1 oil changes. Engine runs great.
The 2007 suburban with 5.3L with cylinder deactivation ate 3 qts between oil changes, got an oil warning light, oil was low so topped it off. OIl light still on. Checked oil pressure with mechanical guage, its a pain the first time since at the back of the intake near firewall and is done by feel, pressure was fine, replaced oil pressure sending unit with AC delco and screen below it (use a bent pic to remove, they are cheap so buy two just in case you lose it)...fixed problem...probably got clogged when i ran it low on oil.

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an '07 with the same problem. I put in a quart of transmission fluid into the oil. Ran it for about 20 mi did a full oil change and never had the problem again. My sweater. Bye Happy for Bye Happy for you

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not a good idea to run an engine under load (AKA on the road) with a quart of transmission fluid in the oil. Transmission fluid does not have lubrication properties of oil which is why we put oil in the crankcase and not tranny fluid. Sure in the driveway at idle to free up sticky lifters then drain and complete oil change which ive done on many vehicles but I would never drive a vehicle out on the road with tranny fluid in the crankcase.

OP
OP
L

Leonard country

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which is why I requested more detail. Without knowing what's been done, we can toss all sorts of suggestions out there. Need more info if help is wanted.
They replaced the sending unit but not the screen truck has about 200k on it I ordered screen at pressure sending unit and oil pump and pick tube waiting on them to arrive I tested oil pressure on side of block has about 38 pounds warm I didn't have the correct adapter to test at the top and I wasn't sure what ecm would do if I unhooked gauge sending unit also tried a new cluster seeing as the tac was not working

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The oil pressure sending unit in your '04 DOES NOT have a screen under it. That's for the AFM engines, which started in the GMT900s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec