Low Frequency Road Noise Hunting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to try and rotate the tires today. Noticed this morning that the LS2 tires on the rear are 111S rated, and the Ironman's are 117V rated. Wonder if that's part of the cause of the somewhat harsher ride than I think I should have (and hopefully road noise).

Also measured the LF noise about 2 feet behind my head and it's a rather astounding 8-10 db lower (that's a lot).

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way that the OP could ride in my Tahoe. These 285 55 R20 Nitto Grapplers howl like wild dogs. Neighbors kid rode with me the other day and he says it is COOL> Hahahaha I am ready to toss the things in the trash but I am not finding much in that size in a highway tire.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There is a huge amount of wind noise in our 08 Yukon Denali XL. It’s >70mph and unaffected by folding the mirrors in at speed.

I used Hush Mat in our other car. I took a lot of time on the roof and stuffed the rear 1/4 panels w/ ccf as it’s a 2 door car. It knocked down the noise so much that I no longer had to raise my voice or turn my head to talk to the passenger.

The same is going on in our Denali.
I suspect if the doors and roof of the Denali got Hush Mat, it would get rid of that wind noise at >70mph. Ours is not tire related, it’s turbulence right around the A pillar and top of windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a huge amount of wind noise in our 08 Yukon Denali XL. It’s >70mph and unaffected by folding the mirrors in at speed.

I used Hush Mat in our other car. I took a lot of time on the roof and stuffed the rear 1/4 panels w/ ccf as it’s a 2 door car. It knocked down the noise so much that I no longer had to raise my voice or turn my head to talk to the passenger.

The same is going on in our Denali.
I suspect if the doors and roof of the Denali got Hush Mat, it would get rid of that wind noise at >70mph. Ours is not tire related, it’s turbulence right around the A pillar and top of windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear the same wind noise. It sounds like it's coming from the A-pillar, but I can't say for sure that's where it's originating from. I mean, there's an airbag stuffed in there so surely that's gotta be a great sound insulator. Maybe it's the edge of the windshield where it meets the pillar? I'm hoping it's the door and the sound is just traveling cuz insulating the door would be easy compared to the A-pillar. I plan to insulate mine when I take it apart to replace the speakers. Gotta remember to get the triangle behind the mirror, too.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is the tires pick up some Bridgestone Dueler A/T RH-S they are very quiet tires

The hum he is hearing is from a fan inside the cabin maybe
THIS

Last edited: