Low engine oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowdown916

Reaction score
Sup guys, quick question, i have a 2015 yukon denali xl, and everytime im close to do an oil change it gives me the message that its time,but when i check the engine oil stick i see its either empty or almost nothing. truck dosent leak either,have anyone seem this happen on other trucks?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sup guys, quick question, i have a 2015 yukon denali xl, and everytime im close to do an oil change it gives me the message that its time,but when i check the engine oil stick i see its either empty or almost nothing. truck dosent leak either,have anyone seem this happen on other trucks?

It is not unusual for an engine to consume some oil during operation or to lose a quart over 7000 miles. If you start changing your oil at 5000 miles or 30% on the DIC, I bet there will be some on the stick.

Get into the habit of checking your fluids regularly, such as every other fuel stop or each Saturday morning or something like that, whatever works for you, to catch these things when they are small problems before they become expensive problems.

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
It is not unusual for an engine to consume some oil during operation or to lose a quart over 7000 miles. If you start changing your oil at 5000 miles or 30% on the DIC, I bet there will be some on the stick.

Get into the habit of checking your fluids regularly, such as every other fuel stop or each Saturday morning or something like that, whatever works for you, to catch these things when they are small problems before they become expensive problems.

yea, i will start checking fluids more often, there was one time when i took it to the dealership for oil change and after around half the life of the oil or 50% i got the message to add more,so i looked and i was on empty, not sure if dealership didnt put enough or it was something else,but i when out of town that time and i just had my wife take it to a different place for oil change and after that its just been really low right when its getting close to oil change or around 30%

OP
OP
B

bowdown916

Reaction score
yea i get it,i was just explaning what happen last time :) .. but for sure i will keep my eye on the fluid more often. thank you Ron..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i will start checking fluids more often, there was one time when i took it to the dealership for oil change and after around half the life of the oil or 50% i got the message to add more,so i looked and i was on empty, not sure if dealership didnt put enough or it was something else,but i when out of town that time and i just had my wife take it to a different place for oil change and after that its just been really low right when its getting close to oil change or around 30%

One thing to remember for your engine is that it takes 8 quarts of oil now. The previous generations took 6 and way back in the small block chevy days they took 5. I would not be surprised that quick lube places only put in 6 quarts but would be rather concerned if a GM dealership filled it anything less than 8!