Lost my lugnut key, nobody has right one, what do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Self-explanatory question, really. I'm actually pretty pissed about this right now. The shop that swapped my winter tires to summer tires never gave me my key or other lug nuts back. I didn't notice right away, probably because my other wheels were snugly on the truck. It just didn't occur to me at the time.

So, now the shop is being a pain about it....I can't prove they didn't give it back, after all...and I can't get my wheels off. I'm screwed if I get a flat, for one thing, but for another I'm getting some work done Monday and they HAVE to take the wheels off to do it. The shop (different one) isn't real thrilled with the idea of potentially ruining the lug or my rims.

Is there any good way to figure out what key I need or am I just screwed?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You can get a lugnut lock removal tool. They have them at sears or you could just go to a shop that has one and have them take em off.

http://www.brandsport.com/ctam-a157.html?cmp=fwgs2011

There is another method though. I have seen people hammer a socket on a lock and remove them but getting the lock out of the socket is tough.

Not really if you have a Vise and a Punch with a BFH. Another method is if there is enough room, you can use a chisel on the left side of the lock and hammer down on it, Recommend you tape off the area around the lock though.

ekordas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at discount tire. We offer free rotations, so just go in and get a free rotation and tell them to break the wheel lock keys off. It's something we do almost everyday and takes 30 seconds per wheel lock.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I know Oreilly's sells a universal lock remover for wheels. Matco, Snap-on, and the others make one as well. Secondly, I would go back to the shop that did it and tell them they never gave me the key for the new locks. Pretty sure they have a "few" lying around.

brassknucklemafia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
visegrips work in a pinch too, use with a BFH. worked for me in the past. just be careful if you have "pretty" rims.

OP
OP
DenaliAK

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
First place I went was the original shop, who denies any knowledge of anything and of course didn't have my old key laying around. They also wanted nothing to do with getting the locks off. I've hit up several shops here, actually, and none of them want to deal with it. They've all pretty much told me to find the right key and they'd be happy to take 'em off.

I may have to hit up O'Reilly's or Sears and just get one of the key removal tools. I don't really care how it's done at this point, I just want the damn things off. I'm already going to have to buy some new lug nuts anyway, so I don't care if they cut the keys off....just want them off.

I've done business with this shop for over 20 years and I'm just fuming that they're treating me so crappily over this. It's not that big of a deal and at the most would probably cost them 4 lug nuts and I'd be satisfied with the outcome, but thus far they are being a-holes about it. I'm talking to the owner tomorrow...he's known me and my family for a while. I imagine that will make something happen.

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
You can usually buy the key from eBay, I see you need to get work done today (Monday) so I don't know if you can hold off. A shop lost mine too (7 teeth style) and I found a few on eBay for less than 10 bucks. I end up going to Rim Tyme and getting one for 20.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
you have to love, if there's a need, someone will make it....after spending money on locking lugs, all thieves need to do is buy a universal kit!!

As sasquatch recommended...get a cheap socket and a mallet. Hammer the socket onto the locking lug. When the socket expands over the head of the locking lug, there should be enough resistance that you can then loosen the lug and take it off.

The socket will be damaged, so just throw it away when you're done.

Before damaging the socket, if you want to try vice grips, give that a shot as well.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of locking lug nuts do you have? That is the big question. Can you post a picture?