Lost keys! Can’t program new set. Solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been a while since I’ve posted it could really use your help.

After a day at my brothers I noticed my keys were missing(with no spare of course), most likely in the woods messin with my nephews. I got the local Chevy to cut the Kay and now I can get into the vehicle but the alarm keeps going off because it doesn’t recognize the key.

It seems like the alarm is preventing me from doing anything to program the new key as every time I turn the keys it just goes off again. Has anyone ever had this issue? Can i somehow disable it to set the key programming?

I have a key fob on order for the morning and plan on seeing what I can do then but I’m expecting I’ll probably need a dealer visit unless you guys come up with some really helpful advice.

2010 Tahoe

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been a while since I’ve posted it could really use your help.

After a day at my brothers I noticed my keys were missing(with no spare of course), most likely in the woods messin with my nephews. Now I have the key cut and can get into the vehicle but the keeps going off because it doesn’t recognize the key.

It seems like the alarm is preventing me from doing anything to program the new key as every time I turn the keys it just goes off again. Has anyone ever had this issue? Can i somehow disable it to set the key programming?

I have a key fob on order for the morning and plan on seeing what I can do then but I’m expecting I’ll probably need a dealer visit unless you guys come up with some really helpful advice.

Thanks for any help.
PRESUMING...... you posted in the correct section and you have a 07-14 AND that the key you had cut is a "chip" key with a + symbol stamped into it on the side near the plastic part
then:
insert the key, turn it to run, let it sit for 10 minutes, turn key to off, turn key back to run let it sit 10 minutes, turn key to off, turn key back to run let it sit 10 minutes, turn it back to off
then start the vehicle. doing this this "should" complete the needed relearn. the relearn process takes 30 minutes total which is why it has to be done 3 times of 10 minutes each

Last edited:
OP
OP
camaroz2887

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Sorry thought I put the vehicle info in my sig a while ago. 2010 tahoe Ltz 5.3

Yes, I tried the 10x10x10 but the alarm kept going off every time I moved the key. Figured the theft deterrent would override any key programming.

I’ll give it another shot tomorrow. Sure glad it’s not at my house cause the neighbors are gonna hate me tomorrow. Lol 30 minutes of alarm going off

OP
OP
camaroz2887

camaroz2887

Reaction score
Well I got it working this morning. Turns out ya just gotta ignore the alarm or remove the horn fuse and just push through with the 10x10x10 procedure and it’ll work.

Seems kinda odd you can program new keys while theft deterrent is active but I guess ya gotta be able to do it somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts