Loss of power after trans rebuilt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjybilcom

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the 4L60E rebuilt in a 2000 Tahoe Z71 4wd, lost power a few miles down the road. Entire time had a Service 4WD light on and no lights on the switch. Nephew that has always owned several Silverado and Tahoe models over the years said it's possible the transfer case was confused so no output to the driveshaft? We replaced the actuator in the front differential, transfer case shift motor, 4wd switch in the dash, and transfer case control module to clear the service light. Also removed front driveshaft. At first we put it in reverse to back up to miss my wife's car, then into gear yo drive down the street. Only went 25-30 so itwas still in low gear. Circled back to the house and stopped, shifted into reverse and nothing. Can put it in drive and pull forward but no reverse. Thinking the guy that rebuilt it didn't do it right so I'm thinking of buying a reman transmission from Autozone after Christmas but want to make sure it's not related to the transfer case instead. Don't have any experience on transmission or driveline beyond having to replace u joints a few times.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the 4L60E rebuilt in a 2000 Tahoe Z71 4wd, lost power a few miles down the road. Entire time had a Service 4WD light on and no lights on the switch. Nephew that has always owned several Silverado and Tahoe models over the years said it's possible the transfer case was confused so no output to the driveshaft? We replaced the actuator in the front differential, transfer case shift motor, 4wd switch in the dash, and transfer case control module to clear the service light. Also removed front driveshaft. At first we put it in reverse to back up to miss my wife's car, then into gear yo drive down the street. Only went 25-30 so itwas still in low gear. Circled back to the house and stopped, shifted into reverse and nothing. Can put it in drive and pull forward but no reverse. Thinking the guy that rebuilt it didn't do it right so I'm thinking of buying a reman transmission from Autozone after Christmas but want to make sure it's not related to the transfer case instead. Don't have any experience on transmission or driveline beyond having to replace u joints a few times.
Any of you guys have a Tech-2 or similar to see the internal codes and test stuff? Does nephew have shop manual and troubleshooting guide?

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It aint the Tcase "confused" when you try to go in reverse but no reverse. WHAT does "lost power a few miles down the road" mean? Check fluid level. Top off but damage likely already done. Check fluid color and smell. Is fluid bright pink or more brown/orangish? Smell like its burnt?
Sounds like transmission wasnt correctly filled and/or built correctly. Likely has reverse clutches burnt up and you will likely notice 4th is gone too. Likely reverse clutches are no longer flat but shaped like a frisbee.

If a "friend or friend of a friend" offers to rebuild a transmission for you and doesnt own a case washer then I say RUN! The basics of a tranny rebuild is cleanliness. It is absolutely imperative to start with a properly cleaned and inspected case. If anyone says otherwise then they arent a professional and are not doing you a favor, they are creating headaches for you. There are some specialized tools made for specific models of transmissions. These tools simply cant be replaced with common hand tools. A seal sizer is one of them. Anyone that tries to use anything but the proper tool on seals does not know what they are doing or is just playing pro mechanic on your tranny.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The odds of it being transfer case related is slim especially considering it didn’t shift out of first, and now won’t reverse. What exactly does it do when you put it into reverse?

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise you against buying a reman from AZ or any other similar vendor. There seems to be a certain failure rate after 6-9 months. Seems like LQK is the main source behind and quality control is simply not there. In my opinion the best bet is get with a local rebuilder that will be available to you when issues come up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh

Latest posts