Losing Hvac fan speeds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
I have had my Silverado for 4 years. It never had a working fan speed for #1 setting. Now I have lost #2, the remaining fan speeds are working. What is the issue and how can it be fixed?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had my Silverado for 4 years. It never had a working fan speed for #1 setting. Now I have lost #2, the remaining fan speeds are working. What is the issue and how can it be fixed?
most likely it is the blower motor resistor they run about $65-80 for a oem one, aftermarket ones are available but they tend to not last very long compared to oem

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
So this resistor can cause a few speeds to stop but allow others to still work? Where is the resistor located on 2001 Z71.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would have looked up the one for your Silverado but you gave no vehicle info. The one for your o1 Z71 is this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3485586&cc=1371620&jsn=1020

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=86248&cc=1371620&jsn=1023

This one is for the rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=436861&cc=1371620&jsn=1027

I don't know the front location but a member here will likely chime in or go look at you tube. My WAG, is under the dash on Passenger side. Maybe even behind the glove compartment that you can remove the box out of for access.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this resistor can cause a few speeds to stop but allow others to still work? Where is the resistor located on 2001 Z71.

Yes, as there are typically several resistors in the module, with various combinations making up each speed on your fan control selector switch.

Other folks will be able to tell you exactly where to find the resistors in your specific year/model truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are all in the same place from 00-14 under the kickpanel under the dash/glovebox passenger side, look up tahoe blower motor resistor on google there will a gang of instructional videos, these are all in the same location silverado, sierra, tahoe, yukon, escalade, avalanche, etc..

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
I have a 01 Silverado z71 ext cab. I will research more tonight. I assume there is a part that I can buy and swap out the old one.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 01 Silverado z71 ext cab. I will research more tonight. I assume there is a part that I can buy and swap out the old one.

Rock Auto (rockauto.com) will most likely have your part as a very competitive price, and many folks here use Rock Auto. Once you've located the part, as you've been guided in the above posts, the process to swap it out is simple.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Yea, the same two top AC Delco numbers are what is in your rig. They look a bit different so you can look and order the right one or post the last 8 digits of your VIN and hopefully @915_Tahoe will be able to give you the right choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11