Loose steering feel, lower steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my new tires today. Planning on my alignment tomorrow or Thursday.

Random thought. What are peoples thoughts on solid bushings? Pros/Cons?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
New tires deff will improve the feel. Poly bushes work great on sway bars and hard mounts like power steering bushes susceptible to oil & fuel deterioration that are a bear to replace regularly.

No so good on control arms and areas that must have a softer durometer material to absorb but still provide road feel. If you mix poly bushings with rubber in areas designed to tolerate some deflection, the poly will transmit all or more deflection to the rubber parts and thrash em. The end effect is undesired road feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HUGE difference with the new tires, definitely noticeable. I'll be getting my alignment early this week.

I ended up going under and checking out the new bushings. Had my daughter turn the wheel while I checked on the bushings. They certainly do move. Granted its nothing like the warn out ones but, they move.
There's got to be an aftermarket options for these.
I am real curious how a solid mount would work on the steering rack, especially for every day driving nothing crazy.
I understand about wear and tear but seeing how they're bound to fail out the box, I just think there's got be a better option.

One thing I did notice after my new tires is, turning the wheel almost full lock, it makes a noise now. I'll try to get a video of it. Never did it before.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third alignments a charm :)

I was able to hang out with him and go through the whole front end too, so far so good.

alignment-3.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Well it’s deff not air in the p/s system. Either the pump is shot or it’s a bad rack. Spoke to the installing tech and that son of a gun hooked me up with a NEW AC Delco rack, not a reman. That means it’s prolly the pump.

My 4 year service contract just ended. Might have to actually pay for my 1st repair since ‘14.

I did find a solution for the racks that are moving. It’s an poly bushing that won’t deteriorate like the oe material.

c410a4cace9353c0899249f2b4976394.jpg

08 Denali AWD. Waiting to see if it’s air, p/s pump or the rack.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it’s deff not air in the p/s system. Either the pump is shot or it’s a bad rack. Spoke to the installing tech and that son of a gun hooked me up with a NEW AC Delco rack, not a reman. That means it’s prolly the pump.

My 4 year service contract just ended. Might have to actually pay for my 1st repair since ‘14.

I did find a solution for the racks that are moving. It’s an poly bushing that won’t deteriorate like the oe material.

c410a4cace9353c0899249f2b4976394.jpg

Do you have a part number for the AC Delco rack?

That bushing will help some but the problem is with the two bushings that bolt in on the drivers side. It would be nice to see an aftermarket bushing to replace the weak rubber ones.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Negative, not even on my invoice. I will get it eventually and post it here.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So did you have to remove the rack to press the bushings out and new ones in or did you do it with the rack in the truck still?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33