Loose steering feel, lower steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chartersj

Reaction score
I just took this video today of my steering rack moving at full lock. Is this what you guys are talking about?
Would this cause steering wander and bump steer?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing this back from the dead. Though its really not that old.

Like Julian's video above shows movement, mine is doing the same but a bit worse. I can feel it while driving as well as see it in the wheel movement. Lots of play.

This is my biggest issue, tire wear and finding the culprit.
Can I be safe to say that this movement in my steering is causing an issue with my alignment?
I'm getting serious wear on the inside of each front tire.

Just to be sure, this kit will below will resolve any steering issues?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arm-Bushin...ash=item3d3da3deb0:g:olQAAOSwB-1Y3pmh&vxp=mtr

What method did you guys use to replace the bushings?

Thanks

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, anyone have any luck on replacing there bushings?

I've been googling the heck out of this topic and I cant find anything. Its always for another vehicle.
Just looking for the process in which to remove and install, preferably a video haha.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, since no one has done this I'm going to bite the bullet and order these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Arm-Bushin...ash=item3d3da3deb0:g:olQAAOSwB-1Y3pmh&vxp=mtr

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any other aftermarket options available before I order them.
EDIT: Another question. Is there an aftermarket rack available instead of a reman? I've been reading that the rack bushings are not serviceable and am curious as to who has gone through this successfully. I may be leaning towards a new rack.
Any info would be much appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, no replies at all.

Looks like I'm going to lean towards replacing my rack. Yay

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol why are you talking to yourself man I'm just messing with you. Keep us updated. I have the shaking in the steering wheel when the truck is idling. I want to get rid of the sounds asap

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol why are you talking to yourself man I'm just messing with you. Keep us updated. I have the shaking in the steering wheel when the truck is idling. I want to get rid of the sounds asap

I was secretly talking to you haha.
Shaking when its idling? Hmm, not sure its the same thing as this issue.
I will for sure. I'll post everything in this thread, no need to start a new one.

sub'd i'm curious how this plays out

I'm just as curious you haha.

I'm hoping to get the bushing Saturday, if everything pans out they'll go in Sunday. Otherwise, it'll have to wait until next weekend. Weather permitting of course haha.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly they arrived today haha. This was after they told me I'd receive them Monday.

Well, if anyone is interested, this is what you get and the company that makes them. They are available through that eBay link or they are also available through Amazon. Same price which ever way you go.

I'm trying to figure out the whole pressing situation.
I'd like to get this done asap but I will not rush this and end up screwing it up in the process.
So, bare with me and I'll be back as I progress.

steering bushings-1.jpg steering bushings-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63