Looking to purchase a Yukon/Suburban/Tahoe... Need advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently I have a 2001 Ford F250 V10. It's been a good truck and i have 230k miles on it but I am tired of the stupid spark plugs getting blown out of the head and leaving me stranded... I am looking for a Yukon that will last a while and have as little reliability issues as possible.

To give you an idea, I can tool on my own vehicles. I have taken extremely good care of my V10, just replaced a ton of parts because its getting old... (spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, PCV, Coolant flushed, Trans flushed, fuel filter, oil, belts, thermostat, blower motor, door actuators etc) but the FORD design flaw is just too much for me to bear. I wish I would have researched a little better before purchasing the truck with this design flaw.

With that in mind... What Yukon should I be looking at? I want something reliable and won't leave me stranded due to a design flaw from the factory. I take good care of my vehicles and once I purchase one I will get it up to *****. Just want to make sure I buy the right one.

Hoping to get over 300k out of the engine, if I have to replace a trans around 200k miles that's understandable.

Which engine should I be looking at? Rig needs to pull a side by side on a 14' trailer and 4wd/AWD due to winters.
-5.3L, 6.0, 8.1?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Brake_L8

Reaction score
I'll be the first to champion the Yukon Denali and/or Escalade. Yes, the Cadillac. Hear me out, I tow with mine (6k lbs, ish) and wanted the best vehicle for that use. Don't care about offroad prowess and likely don't need low range, ever. So with that in mind...

The Denali and Escalade have some serious benefits over the 5.3 trucks:
  • 6.0L with more HP and torque (I think 335 hp/385 tq but don't quote me)
  • Stronger 4L65 transmission vs the 4L60
  • Always-on AWD that you never have to think about
  • Magneride shocks that firm up when in tow/haul mode
  • Rear air ride for auto load leveling
Plus, they all came very nicely equipped. I know a lot of people don't care about options lists, but for putting a ton of highway miles on something as I do, it's really nice to have heated first and second row seats, leather (easier to keep clean IMO), a good sound system (stock Bose stuff is pretty good, just install a modern navigation head unit), etc etc.

My truck has been pretty good to me. I bought it January 2nd of this year and have put about 19k miles on it in the first year of ownership. It's had some leaks that needed fixing but I expect to get a lot of years out of it once this first year of "new to me teething pains" gets fully sorted.

Mileage seems to be ~12 when towing at 70 mph and about 15-16 unloaded on the highway. I have heard the 8.1's are good trucks, but they are harder to find and allegedly get 8ish MPG no matter how you drive or what you hook onto the back.

I can do 70+ mph while towing and forget the car is behind me. I have a good brake controller and weight distributing hitch. The WDH helps a lot given the SUVs have coil spring rear instead of leafs like the pickups.

BlkYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL?

The NNBS ones can tow up to 9,600 lb and the NBS ones can tow from 10-12k depending on how they are optioned. Gas mileage should be 10-12 mpg unloaded.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Two things to look for before you buy that can cost quite a bit are the rear air ride and the rear main seal. Those usually go out after 100k miles. Other than that these trucks hold up pretty good it you maintenance them well.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the 8.1 as far as parts go? I hardly ever see them for sale and when they are for sale usually they are sold quickly. This one looks nice, it doesn't have leather, but for towing I assume the 8.1 would be better.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5347469197.html

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5333357037.html

On the 6.0 I linked earlier, are those stock headlights? They look like projectors... I am looking on craigslist locally and the same year model, others don't have those headlights.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518