Looking to install long tube headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SlimJim

Reaction score
What tuner did you guys use to delete your o2 sensors? I want to install some speed engineering long tubes but BB is telling me that he wants a signed affidavit saying that my vehicle is an Off road vehicle only before he will delete the downstream o2 sensors. So im hesitant to get headers until i find the right tuner which really sucks because I really like Blackbear but I also NEED cat-less long tube headers. haha

SlimJim

Reaction score
If the long tubes or their Y-pipe don't have catalytic converters ("cats"), then you will get "Catalyst Inefficiency" codes. The cost of a tune is cheaper than cats and there will be many other benefits to a custom tune other than just turning off the rear O2 codes. A good tune will optimize the headers, anyway.

which tuner do you recommend to delete the o2 sensors? BB told me no

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tuner did you guys use to delete your o2 sensors? I want to install some speed engineering long tubes but BB is telling me that he wants a signed affidavit saying that my vehicle is an Off road vehicle only before he will delete the downstream o2 sensors. So im hesitant to get headers until i find the right tuner which really sucks because I really like Blackbear but I also NEED cat-less long tube headers. haha
So sign the affidavit. What’s your problem doing that? They just don’t want to be liable. That’s the same as if you tuned them out yourself with your own software. You’re the only one liable. It is against federal regulations after all but nobody is going to know or care.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So sign the affidavit. What’s your problem doing that? They just don’t want to be liable. That’s the same as if you tuned them out yourself with your own software. You’re the only one liable. It is against federal regulations after all but nobody is going to know or care. They tuned mine out with no questions asked but maybe things have changed for them.

SlimJim

Reaction score
So sign the affidavit. What’s your problem doing that? They just don’t want to be liable. That’s the same as if you tuned them out yourself with your own software. You’re the only one liable. It is against federal regulations after all but nobody is going to know or care.

I don’t have the first clue in where to even get an affidavit or sign one. Do I just go to the dmv and get one. Also if I sign an affadavit for off-road only does that mean that my truck isn’t street legal anymore?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the first clue in where to even get an affidavit or sign one. Do I just go to the dmv and get one. Also if I sign an affadavit for off-road only does that mean that my truck isn’t street legal anymore?
You can probably just type one up. I would ask Blackbear, they should know what they want. And no, it doesn’t mean shit. It’s just between you and BB, so in case you got a ticket for no cats you couldn’t blame BB for tuning out the cats. It just absolves them of any responsibility for a ticket. You don’t need to “officially” file it with your DMV or anything, it will just be on record at BB filed away somewhere so in case you point a finger at them they are covered.
Edit: definitely do NOT do anything at DMV lol. They are the last people you want to alert. Shhhhh lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which tuner do you recommend to delete the o2 sensors? BB told me no

I recommend Black Bear. I had a local speed shop (Futral Motorsports) tune mine 2 or 3 years ago just to delete the rear O2s, disable AFM and remove speed limiter. No performance tuning. I had to fill out and sign a form that stated all that I wanted done, so it was all on me. I also had (and still have) my stock manifolds and O2s in place- no headers yet.

As Rocket Man said, just sign whatever they need. See if BB has a blank saved on file or if they can give you further suggestions. It's only because emissions is federally mandated and they need to be released from responsibility should anything ever arise. Otherwise, they would be viewed as an accomplice to a "crime". Technically, your truck would not be street legal as far as the federal gubbamint is concerned, but who cares? We lift, lower, change headlights and tailights and put louder mufflers on our rides that violate state and federal laws all the time. The EPA isn't gonna pull your one truck over out of the millions on the road and look underneath it for cat converters. Your only concern should be if your locale requires annual inspections and if they visually inspect for a cat converter. We have emissions inspections in my state and I passed for years with a supercharger, headers, no cat converter and an O2 simulator I bought off ebay.

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about late reply. I had my tuned in Jacksonville. Did an excellent job. Where are you located?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094