Looking to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07yukonxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at 2016 Yukon xl slt. 121000 miles. Or 2015 Yukon Denali xl 143000 miles. Both about same price. Both DVD players. Slt has bench seat. Black interior. Not sure which one to go with anybody have any thoughts? Reliability of certain things on the Denali vs the slt.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2015 Denali will have the 6.2L where as the 2016 SLT will have the 5.3L.

2015 was the first year of that body style so it may, I say May, have a few bugs that may have been addressed for 2016. That being said, I would think after 143,000 miles, any first year issues would have been likely dealt with.

A lot of people prefer the bench seat for 2nd row, but that’s a personal preference.

What suspension does the SLT have? The Denali will likely come with premium suspension, that may have been optioned on the SLT.

At the end of the day, I don’t think you can go wrong with either one if everything else is equal.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at 2016 Yukon xl slt. 121000 miles. Or 2015 Yukon Denali xl 143000 miles. Both about same price. Both DVD players. Slt has bench seat. Black interior. Not sure which one to go with anybody have any thoughts? Reliability of certain things on the Denali vs the slt.

More bells and whistles and more horsepower with the Denali. I like the captain's chairs for the 2nd row, was never a fan of the bench. But that is just me and my house, what is best for yours? You can run 87 in the SLT and the Denali requires Premium fuel, 91 or 93 octane for the motor to last. If the last guy only ran 87 in it, you will bear the brunt of the repair costs, maybe.

Highway mileage is about the same if memory serves. Everyone loves the additional giddy-up! Got links so we can critique the photos and Car Faxes?

lbenson

Reaction score
6 or 8 speed in the 2015 Denali? They did a 2015.5 model halfway thru and upgraded the Denalis from 6 to 8 speeds. If still original trans with the 8 speed watch out... blew mine at 175k even after having the TSB for upgraded fluid performed 45,000 miles before it blew up.

Had both an SLT and Denali in past and would go Denali all the way. But... like mentioned above if 87 was run in the 6.2L you will run into issues. Personally, I would stay away from 2015s after owning two 2015s in the past. 2016s+ with the 5.3L and 6 speeds are known for transmission failures too. 2016 worked out kinks in the 2015s. Now in a 2018, I would never go back to anything with the 6 or 8 speed (2018+ with 6.2L have the 10 speed... a HUGE upgrade from the 8 speed.)

OP
OP

07yukonxl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is the 16

The 2015.

I do have a 2007 Yukon xl. That Iam keeping. Wife wants one with DVD player and newer features that the 2007 does not have.Was gonna get rid of my Ford pickup. I did notice a few things with this one blower fan was loud. Like a vibration. Prob was gonna need new taillight had to smack it for it to work. And the black trim on door made a vibration while driving.

The Denali has more bells and whistles. Power running boards, integrated trailer brake controller and the heads up display that I can see. Does the SLT have lane keeping and automatic emergency braking and all that that comes with it? Cannot tell from the photos.

144K is about a year's more driving than the SLT has seen, that's 20K a year.

Did you get CarFaxes on each? AutoCheck provides a pitiful amount of information, don't rely on that alone. They are both for sale in North Dakota but are they both from North Dakota? How do they look underneath? We passed on quite a few North and South Daktoa trucks because of rusted bodies.

I like the Denali, just not the mileage. But I realize times/prices are different now. With both of those K2s (the chassis) I would definitely want to know if the transmissions had been overhauled and if not, budget accordingly. The have thermostats and when they fail the transmissions overheat and burn up the clutches. GM recently came out with a lower temperature thermostat and before that, many people take 30 minutes to "flip the pill" so they'll run cooler.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the options on the Denali, if you plan to do any towing you have the towing package with the integrated trailer brake control. Make sure everything works, heated cooled seats, heated steering wheel, kick open rear liftgate ect, ect. The blower noise could be a piece of trash, plastic trim can be fixed with adhesive(known issue), tail light may be just a corroded connection issue, work with the Dealer on those issues. I would recommend an extended warranty with all the electronics. Good luck with your decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues