Looking to buy: Are low miles always a good thing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '02 Tahoe LT now w/ 190,000 miles. There are lots of little things wrong w/ it and I'm going to start towing a car on a trailer, and I'm just not confident w/ it. So I've been looking to "upgrade" to a GMT900. I really don't want to spend more than $15,000 so most of the ones that I'm finding have 120,000 to 160,000 miles on them. For the most part they all look nice.

But at what point on these trucks do all the little nit picky and also major issues start cropping up? It seems that it would not be smart to buy one that is just on the verge of needing all kinds of repairs. Maybe better to buy one that has had those things already done but w/ more miles. E.g. am I better off w/ a well-cared for one w/ 190,000 than paying a premium for one w/ 130,000?

Here is a low mileage '07 Z71: http://www.gsautomotivegroup.com/2007-Chevrol et-TahoeZ71/Used-SUV/Nashville-TN/8446799/Details.aspx

And a higher mileage, lower price '07 LT but w/ a new tranny and tires: http://memphis.craigslist.org/cto/5894485024.html

Or even higher miles but looks to be cared for and cheap: http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/5949749352.html

I have also run across a good looking '03 w/ only 105000 miles for $8990. Does that make sense? here it is: http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/ctd/5932736976.html

Or the opposite, go for a newer one w/ relatively more miles: http://www.brockland.com/VehicleDet...-Tahoe-2WD_4dr_1500_LS-Columbia-IL/2841314063

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only we had a crystal ball, huh?

IMO, the problem with the mileage range that you're finding seems to be the mileage range that these things begin their waterfall of nit-picky failures. The original motor mounts should be toast by that mileage and the trucks you've listed will either still have the original and broken mounts or broken replacements or they'll be fine. The problems from the AFM start showing around this mileage range as well. Expect to be replacing suspension and steering components soon after purchase, especially if you'll be towing. Random power accessory glitches and failures are more prone to be showing at these mileages as well, but they may have already been addressed before the vehicle was put up for sale.

All you can do is find out as much about the history as possible. Look for the signs of one used as a tow pig. A "new" or "recently replaced" transmission may not always be what it sounds like. Some people replace a blown trans with a known working salvage yard trans. The trans is "new to that vehicle", but it's not actually "new". It may have 100,000 miles left in it or it may have 100. It can look like-new seeing it from under the truck since it's easy to degrease and power wash a trans out of a vehicle.

Out of the ones you linked to, I like the first and last ones. They both look to have been cared for and the price of the '07 seems like a solid deal for it being a Z71. The price on the '10 isn't bad, either. The thing with the '07 is that it's a "first year" and may have more issues. The '10 isn't as equipped (LS package), but I believe there were a few improvements starting in the 2010 models.

Last edited:

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for 1 or 4. 4 leaves you a ton of wiggle room.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Here's my 2cents worth. I looked on and off for a year and a half for a hoe that was affordable. I stumbled on a 2011 SSV hoe that I figured out to be a former fire chief car. It only has 70k on the clock. A little shy on bells and whistles but a real good value at 20.500k with 4wd. A comparable lt or ltz would be at least 28k around here. So far I have added a console, home link, a dic button, and a leather steering wheel with radio controls. I wasn't going to buy an older model in order to save some money as the car I traded was a 2012 but I'm happy with my hoe

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where is the sweet spot? How new, how few miles, and how much do I have to spend to get a reliable tow vehicle that is not due for a bunch of replacement parts? Its beginning to sound like I should just take mine to a good Chevy shop and tell them to go through it and fix everything. I only paid $5000 for it a couple of years ago so I can afford to put some money in it. It does have some good towing options: 3.42 rear end, G80 positraction, Z82 HD Trailering Equip., G69 Level Control, Z55 Autoride, KNP HD Tranny cooler, UY7 Trailer Harness, VR4 Weight Distributing Hitch, NW7 Traction Control. And some "new" takeoffs. It also is a work truck, hauling lumber, sheetrcok, etc. IMG_2930.JPG

What about the Hybrid? Stay away?

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where is the sweet spot? How new, how few miles, and how much do I have to spend to get a reliable tow vehicle that is not due for a bunch of replacement parts? Its beginning to sound like I should just take mine to a good Chevy shop and tell them to go through it and fix everything. I only paid $5000 for it a couple of years ago so I can afford to put some money in it. It does have some good towing options: 3.42 rear end, G80 positraction, Z82 HD Trailering Equip., G69 Level Control, Z55 Autoride, KNP HD Tranny cooler, UY7 Trailer Harness, VR4 Weight Distributing Hitch, NW7 Traction Control. And some "new" takeoffs. It also is a work truck, hauling lumber, sheetrcok, etc. View attachment 72238

What about the Hybrid? Stay away?
190k shouldn't scare you. That's why we drive these beasts. Fix what's wrong and drive off into the sun set

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This question comes up often. Do I stay with my current truck, even with some issues, put some money into it and keep on trucking with a platform I know and feel good about. Or do I start all over again perhaps with something newer or more options or less miles, not knowing what I am inheriting and the possibility of more/different maintenance items. Maybe that trade off is worth it, maybe not. I always say do the pros/cons list and see which one wins and make your decision that way.

Recent member and I had this same discussion a few weeks ago. He was pissed about his truck niggling him with stupid issues and wanted to ditch it for something different. In the end, I think he kept it, decided to spend some money, fix the issues and do some mods he had been holding back on. Good luck, whichever direction you go.

@bldn10

Last edited:

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This question comes up often. Do I stay with my current truck, even with some issues, put some money into it and keep on trucking with a platform I know and feel good about. Or do I start all over again perhaps with something newer or more options or less miles, not knowing what I am inheriting and the possibility of more/different maintenance items. Maybe that trade of is worth it, maybe not. I always say do the pros/cons list and see which one wins and make your decision that way.

Recent member and I had this same discussion a few weeks ago. He was pissed about his truck niggling him with stupid issues and wanted to ditch it for something different. In the end, I think he kept it, decided to spend some money, fix the issues and do some mods he had been holding back on. Good luck, whichever direction you go.

@bldn10
If I'm happy with my drive train, I'm more then happy to fix other silly shit :)

OP
OP
bldn10

bldn10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been playing w/ a VIN decoder service and that's as addictive as solitaire! Of all the ones I've looked at [many more than above] mine is the best equipped tow beast w/ the '03 a close second. Unfortunately the Z71 does not have the towing package, nor does an '07 Denali I've been looking at, even though oddly it does have the tranny cooler.

Right now I have this crap:
Oil leak, probably rear main seal
Low and erratic idle
Erratic voltage [I have a thread in the GMT800 forum]
CEL on
Codes for lean, both banks
Stored codes for traction control and "delivered Torque Circuit Fault" I doubt if he Autoride is working
Transmission seems to be slipping
Headliner loose and sagging
Sunroof leaking
Could use new brake pads
Probably need new [Autoride] shocks

Thanks for all the helpful comments so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011