Looking for Testimonials Re: HM Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run castrol, mobil, or sometimes valvoline always the synthetic stuff. i think the high mileage stuff may be mostly smoke and mirrors. i do occasionally run a lucas additive in my older toys tho (possibly more tricks). as with some posted lab testing it has been suggested some high mileage oils do contain more additives than thier same brand counterparts. however its also been suggested some high mileage cheaper oils are either as good as the "good stuff" or worse than the basic. so ill just stick with synthetic oils or if the extra special stuff is on sale. as far as quakerstate oils go im sure they have changed thier "recipe" however back in the day i fell victim to thier bad oil. noted tho it was common knowledge or atleast suggested common knowledge that sludge problem only occurred for those trying to push thier oil that bit extra. as with myself back when i ended up with a toast engine due to massive buildup i was regularly going beyond the original stipulated 3000 miles. however after doing seals on said engine and having the seals fail within a short span and redoing them and first hand seeing the piles of sludge. yes i went beyond 3000 but im not talking 5000 just regularly hitting 3000 then trying to budget till i could afford to do it. did the engine fail for other causes yes possible should it have had a 2 inch wall of sludge under the valve covers..... no absolutely not.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Alex, that's good information and pretty much the same thoughts on the larger filter. I use the larger filter on my 30 yr old Harley Dyna LowRider for the same reason, "why not". I watched some videos on the deconstruction of the AC Delco "e" type filters and they really don't seem bad. The nylon cage inside is supposed to be stronger than metal. However the non metal end caps seem suspicious. As for the Fram filters, they have a bad reputation now are referred to as the "orange can of death!" Which seems funny to me because before they got this bad reputation that's all I used. I ran one from day one on a '97 Ram 1500 289ci and at 220,000 miles I sold it still running like new just 2 years ago. Do you or anyone reading this know where I can find a good filter application and cross reference chart? Seems when I enter one that I believe is supposed to fit into Amazon I get the "does not fit" warning.

Here ya go! This does not take filter length into account, but will tell you what fits the correct mount.

Might be right on the "e" filters. I recall something about the end caps being my question. Another on of those "why not" questions, given an alternative.

As for Fram - I think it is a bit blown out of proportion, failures would *have* to be exceedingly rare or they'd be facing class action lawsuits. That said, the thought of the end cap coming apart without warning just makes me uneasy.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here ya go! This does not take filter length into account, but will tell you what fits the correct mount.

Might be right on the "e" filters. I recall something about the end caps being my question. Another on of those "why not" questions, given an alternative.

As for Fram - I think it is a bit blown out of proportion, failures would *have* to be exceedingly rare or they'd be facing class action lawsuits. That said, the thought of the end cap coming apart without warning just makes me uneasy.
Thanks again, Alex!
Just fyi, in 30+ years of using Fram I've never seen a failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel