Looking for Suspension Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Owned my 2009 Yukon XL SLT 2WD since new. Replaced strut assemblies and shocks as well as ball joints at 150K. Got parts from 1AAuto. Definitely don't recommend them. The front end was several inches higher for months. Looked like the engine was out of it. The ride was not improved at all.

Currently, it has 258K and it rides like a "sloppy jalopy" as my wife says. It was the family vehicle until two years ago when it was replaced with a 2015 Tahoe and handed down to be my daily driver. I guess I'm looking good "daily driver" recommendations. Not sure how long the vehicle will last. Had it long enough to say "Oh yeah, I've replaced that part before" a few times.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
Undoubtedly your vehicle was infected with the sickness, Not covid 19 but still "made in china". our society has been flooded with "look alikes" that are so inferior they are not worth purchasing or worse yet dangerous. Any strut that changes your ride height changes your ride quality and handling but china dosent give a rats ass about any american's safety. Ok enough about that, If you are fortunate enough to still have serviceable upper/lower ball joints than imo i would go with rockauto and get "oem" replacement strut assy's. rockauto also sells the cheap knockoffs but they designate "oem replacement" and you should stick with that. Im guessing you'll spend approx $700 for a pair of front assy's but you will restore an "as new" ride quality. does your vehicle have autoride?

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the control arms or just the ball joints for your lowers? I'm pretty sure the uppers are a complete assembly.

Have you replaced any bushings?

I'd get in touch with GM parts direct or any of the like, give them your VIN to get the exact parts you will need and google that part number to find the best price on it.
MOOG for upper arms and GM OE for lower arms as well as for the strut assembly.

OP
OP
H

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the upper arms but just the ball joints on lower. They may need to be replaced again as well. Didn't replace any bushings. No autoride

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was referring to the control arm bushings even the sway bar bushings and links.

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're aftermarket, poor-quality suspension components have seen an additional 108k miles I'd bet they are toast as well. If I was you I'd replace upper and lower control arms and outer tie-rod ends, all with MOOG or AC Delco Professional (or OEM) parts.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein 5100 shocks, new OEM springs, and new OEM control arms up front and you'll be in heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC