Looking For Specifications Using Vin Number

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calicajun

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm tying to find the specifications on a 2013 Tahoe I just bought used with 19,000 miles on it, using the Vin number 1GNSCBE01DR234158. Want to make sure it has a 3:42 rear end and a transmission cooler as I plan to tow a 6,000 pound trailer with the Tahoe.

Thanks,
Craig

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
In the glovebox, there is a list of codes. K5L is the HD towing package, which comes with the trans cooler and 3.42 gear ratio.

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check that out in a few minutes. Went to the Chevy web site and talked to a rep and they said my Tahoe had a 3:08 rear end. The manual says the 3:08 rear end can tow 5,500 pounds, not good for me.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Checked the codes in pasted in the glove box. Only found three codes that start with "K" KA6, KW1 and K34. Is there a site that lists what all the codes stand for on the car?

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I'll check that out in a few minutes. Went to the Chevy web site and talked to a rep and they said my Tahoe had a 3:08 rear end. The manual says the 3:08 rear end can tow 5,500 pounds, not good for me.

---------- Post added at 09:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Checked the codes in pasted in the glove box. Only found three codes that start with "K" KA6, KW1 and K34. Is there a site that lists what all the codes stand for on the car?

Hello,

Would you like me to provide you your Vehicle Build Sheet with all the RPO codes? I am more than happy to provide that for you. Private message me if interested.

The three RPO codes you mention are these:
K34 - CRUISE CONTROL
KA6 - 2ND ROW HEATED SEATS
KW1 - 160 AMP ALTERNATOR

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Wow, that would be great, please send the codes. It will help me figure out what I may have to do, if possible, to tow the 5,900 pound travel trailer we just bought which is why we bought the Tahoe. BTW the Tahoe drives like a dream.
Thanks,
Craig
[email protected]

P.S. The system won't let me send an IM until I make 10 posts. I'm only at 2 posts so far but climbing.

mfdrookie516

Reaction score
If you have GU4, you have a 3.08 gear ratio. Good for mileage, not good if you're towing 6k lbs. It'll pull it, but without the trans cooler, it'll get hot quick and you'll really be turning some RPM's at highway speed (don't ask me how I know this).

I've read that a Tahoe with the HD towing package has a 2 speed transfer case. I can't confirm that, as I've never looked, but I will say that mine has a single speed transfer case and I do not have the HD towing package. Same setup as yours it seems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Calicajun

Reaction score
Yep, GU4. Well guess I'll be adding a trans cooler, oil cooler and air lifts in the back springs next weekend. Will also be looking into a K&N air filter and a performance chip of some kind to help with towing. Don't mind having to go a little slower up the hills, just hope it will hold at least 45mph on the grades. They say life is all downhill but towing is mostly up hill.

Thanks for the code,
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14