Looking for guidance on purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@adriver No one ever accused me of being the brightest crayon in the box ;-)

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time to bump the thread.

I bought an 04 LS with 94k on the clock. It has barn doors which I think I will like.

It's pretty damn clean overall.

Two things I want to address. The center split seat console lid is toast. And the other I am not sure about... When turning there is a?clunking noise in the front suspension area that I can feel faintly when turning either direction. Any idea on what this could be?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Time to bump the thread.

I bought an 04 LS with 94k on the clock. It has barn doors which I think I will like.

Two things I want to address. The center split seat console lid is toast. And the other I am not sure about... When turning there is a?clunking noise in the front suspension area that I can feel faintly when turning either direction. Any idea on what this could be?
With the jump seat lid--usually the lid hinge breaks because they're plastic and metal and there's no built in stop to prevent it from hyper extending when you open it. Good news is you can buy a complete lid with hinge to repair/replace it. Amazon and ebay sells them for around $60-$70.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Time to bump the thread.

If you notice the clunking at low speeds especially, then it is probably the intermediate steering shaft and /or column bearing. It's a common problem.

OP
OP
Thouse

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you notice the clunking at low speeds especially, then it is probably the intermediate steering shaft and /or column bearing. It's a common problem.

It is at low speeds not constant but most noticeable when turning left or right neither way seems worse. Doesn't shake the wheel or anything but can be felt through it.

How much does this cost to fix? (Assuming it is the intermediate steering shaft) I bought the tahoe anyway (from a large dealer) and they wrote me a "due slip" to check it out and gave me a carbon copy. It was a good enough deal that I figured even if I had to pay to fix it i would be OK.

I do believe they will honor their word as its a huge dealership network and they probably wouldnt want the bad press.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
It is at low speeds not constant but most noticeable when turning left or right neither way seems worse. Doesn't shake the wheel or anything but can be felt through it.

How much does this cost to fix? (Assuming it is the intermediate steering shaft) I bought the tahoe anyway (from a large dealer) and they wrote me a "due slip" to check it out and gave me a carbon copy. It was a good enough deal that I figured even if I had to pay to fix it i would be OK.

I do believe they will honor their word as its a huge dealership network and they probably wouldnt want the bad press.

Not bad. There is an updated design. Make sure if the bearing is replaced that it is AC DELCO and not Dorman. The Dorman is a know bad part.

One thing you can do for free yourself (I've done it twice to mine, lasted about a year) is to secure the wheel, take out the 15mm bolt between the intermediate and lower shafts, and pump the intermediate half up towards the wheel and back a bunch of times to redistribute the grease.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Not bad. There is an updated design. Make sure it's the bearing is replaced that it is AC DELCO and not Dorman. The Dorman is a know bad part.

One thing you can do for free yourself (I've done it twice to mine, lasted about a year) is to secure the wheel, take out the 15mm bolt between the intermediate and lower shafts, and pump the intermediate half up towards the wheel and back a bunch of times to redistribute the grease.
So this--:manos:

ZippinZee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I paid 5k for a 01 Burb financed through my local Credit union with 120K

ZippinZee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could get a loaded hoe for that much. I wish i had found a z71 or a burb with more factory options at least. Thats way too much for that vehiclle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd