looking for engine replacement advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bologna Hammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 95 yukon with the 5.7 TBI. engine over heated and turned itself into a diesel this morning so then it stalled out on me. its got 250k miles so being a little long in the tooth I figured see what my sources can come up with. I know a guy who has a 5.7 vortec TBI from a 96 1500. I dont know much about these motors since most of my experience is with tuner cars but it sounds like the heads are different and wouldnt reuse the same intake manifold. or if I just take my heads as long as they are good and put them on this other motor could I expect to run into more incompatible parts problems just swapping out the bottom end

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you searched the internet to see what the differences are? Why not just swap out the whole motor and no attempt to swap anything? If you do that you need to check how all the front engine bracketry bolts up and all the wiring to it and etc.....

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There area couple ways you could use the 96.
1) different intake and distributor
2) Complete with 96 harness/computer
Both of these options are for experienced mechs. Both work well. (1) my favorite.
Lastly, easiest is replace with rebuilt 95 crate motor.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
90's SBC heads are prone to crack and don't like overheating, I wouldn't waste time and energy swapping heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy