Looking for at Cat-Back systems ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try for a rear shot low in height, dont be afraid to trim some pipe and make it what you want.

i have never installed a cat back with a slight trim

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed the Magnaflow cat back on my '15 yukon XL Denali (Model 19040)
Sounds great, nice low rumble, roars to life when the pedal is down
Feels better off the line with a stronger throttle response when combined with the K&N filter installed
Fits perfectly, looks great under the car.
included the passive flapper valve for the v4 mode (was not in the product description FYI)
Only concern is the exhaust tip is huge 5" and hangs lower than stock .
Will upload before and after cold start sounds soon.

View attachment 269702

I installed the same exhaust system. Like the sound.... I tried to like the tip.... but I hate it as well. Once the weather clears up some I'm going to take it to a custom exhaust shop and try to get them to mod something up so that everything looks more like the factory exhaust exit....

View attachment 269880 20201123_1857081.jpg 20210114_091336.jpg

Russ Giles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tip is the wrong size and hangs too low, for my taste. Want something more subtle.
I see that Banks makes an oval 3.5" inlet 4.35"x5" outlet in Stainless or Black. Thinking the Black might look good with my black wheels and black lower trim. With it pointing more to the back as the stock tip was pointed.

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 11.28.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 11.29.19 PM.png

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Magnaflow 19040 might be the only aftermarket exhaust system that is actually 3.5" piping all the way through, just like the stock exhaust piping is for the 6.2L L86 equipped rigs. There are some benefits to mandrel bent and full stainless, but I've always preferred the sound of Corsa over Magnaflow.

The tip is huge though, not a fan either. Is the tip installed with a clamp or is it welded onto that last section after the final resonator? If clamped on I would just simply take it off. It has no bearing on the sound or performance and the exhaust pipe would then be more tucked away.

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Magnaflow 19040 might be the only aftermarket exhaust system that is actually 3.5" piping all the way through, just like the stock exhaust piping is for the 6.2L L86 equipped rigs. There are some benefits to mandrel bent and full stainless, but I've always preferred the sound of Corsa over Magnaflow.

The tip is huge though, not a fan either. Is the tip installed with a clamp or is it welded onto that last section after the final resonator? If clamped on I would just simply take it off. It has no bearing on the sound or performance and the exhaust pipe would then be more tucked away.

Unfortunately the tip is welded on and probably 15 inches long. There is maybe 8 inches of pipe between the final resonator and where the tip starts. Simply cutting the tip would leave the exhaust exit too far under the truck for my tastes.

I was working with a shop on fabbing up a custom stainless exhaust and Kooks headers/Y-pipe but I found myself chasing the shop for details around pricing, tuning, etc. and I'm not a big fan of begging someone to take my money. So... I'll put that money into other mods and just try and find a way to make the Magnaflow work.

I think Gibson also makes a 3.5" catback for the 6.2l but I've not really done any research.

Russ Giles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some added pictures of the MF exhaust tip from underneath and behind. Would be nice just to cut it off and maybe put a stubby chrome tip or a pipe going straight to the side. plus Stock exhaust prior to removal. Any ideas?

20210205_140036_resized.jpg 20210205_140053_resized.jpg 20210205_140134_resized.jpg

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, seeing how most exhaust shops are hacks and cannot weld, i try to avoid at all costs.

personally, i would like to the see the INLET side of the muffler to have a little more radius, thus raising the muffler a touch, the rotate the tip slightly down, this would give a more stock appearance to the exit location and angle.

i having welders and fab equipment would have no issues doing this, most do have those... so a shop it is. think outside the box, and look for a decent suspension shop that knows how to fab and stop by for a chat.

Russ Giles

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update - I went to my local respected muffler shop (not one of those hack places). They understood my concerns and agreed the MF tip was too big and hung to low.
Bought 1x 3.5" 90 degree elbow, 1x 3.5" 45degree elbow and a black MBRP 3.5" inlet 4" outlet tip.
Cost $135 to install. They used the 45 degree only. realigned the resonator under the body with less sticking out and more road clearance
Happy with the way it looks now. Black tip is more subtle, which fits this SUV

20210222_140922_resized.jpg 20210222_143521_resized.jpg 20210222_143530_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts