Looking at buying NBS Hoe/Kon; questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
I believe all NBS had 16" stock except the z71 tahoes were 17".

Damn, most Im looking at are Z71's and my near new Dakota tires are 16. Figures lol

Yes. The 3rd row doesn't change anything except the mounting points are there. The second row bench folds flat, the captains will not.

Oh now I get it! So to get what I want I really need to be looking for a bench seat. Third row irrelevant.
Ill just have extra tie down locations :)

The head issue is fairly localized to one casting number. You can see it on the passenger side front easily. 706 is the problematic number. The 862 is the other option (the one you want) with a significantly lower failure rate.

Should I discount a vehicle if it has the 706 heads?
Is it a 100% failure rate?
Why would some have different heads? Are they by year, package, day of the week?

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
So my vin has a z indicating it is flex fuel capable.

Serious question I just bought the truck (04 with 94k miles) and would it be kosher to drive down to the local sheetz that has flex fuel and full up?

What if I had a quarter tank of 87?

Sorry to hijack just generally curious.

Curious as well lol

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I discount a vehicle if it has the 706 heads?
Is it a 100% failure rate?
Why would some have different heads? Are they by year, package, day of the week?
It's normal for a manufacturer to source "the same part" from multiple suppliers. Many suppliers simply can't produce enough so they have multiple. As they received a batch in from X maker they used them, then moved on to a batch from Y makers, then Z maker. The vehicles likely rolled off the line in strings with heads all from 1 manf., then another, etc. There is no way for you to know by looking at the VIN, year, packages/options, etc.

IMHO, the amount you should be concerned depends on year.

Not all heads with "706" cast in them are Castech heads. Not all of them are troublesome but its a roll of the dice. GM claims to have had the issue almost entirely resolved by the '06 model year. I think it was a progressive thing where they used less & less of the problem heads. So the later it was produced the better chance you have of not having Castech heads.

IE, my '05 was one of the last '05 models to roll off the line. I have 706 heads and I will simply just monitor for problems. While it's on my mind, it's not of grave concern to me.

So I would say don't discount one with "706 heads" but carefully weight the risk VS reward. IE, if you find a 02 that's borderline good deal you may consider that the risk of Castech heads is higher, so it may not be as good of deal. OTOH, if you find an 06 that is a really good deal, the risk of Castech heads is lower and if there is a problem down the road the deal was good enough to defray some of the repair cost.

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
It's normal for a manufacturer to source "the same part" from multiple suppliers. Many suppliers simply can't produce enough so they have multiple. As they received a batch in from X maker they used them, then moved on to a batch from Y makers, then Z maker. The vehicles likely rolled off the line in strings with heads all from 1 manf., then another, etc. There is no way for you to know by looking at the VIN, year, packages/options, etc.

IMHO, the amount you should be concerned depends on year.

Not all heads with "706" cast in them are Castech heads. Not all of them are troublesome but its a roll of the dice. GM claims to have had the issue almost entirely resolved by the '06 model year. I think it was a progressive thing where they used less & less of the problem heads. So the later it was produced the better chance you have of not having Castech heads.

IE, my '05 was one of the last '05 models to roll off the line. I have 706 heads and I will simply just monitor for problems. While it's on my mind, it's not of grave concern to me.

So I would say don't discount one with "706 heads" but carefully weight the risk VS reward. IE, if you find a 02 that's borderline good deal you may consider that the risk of Castech heads is higher, so it may not be as good of deal. OTOH, if you find an 06 that is a really good deal, the risk of Castech heads is lower and if there is a problem down the road the deal was good enough to defray some of the repair cost.

I never even thought about different manufacturers supplying hardware.
Models Im looking at are deff in the range.

Here's some of the ones Im looking at;

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/d/2003-chevrolet-tahoe-z71/6735580609.html
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/945357982341036/
https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/d/2002-chevy-tahoe-z71/6723534098.html

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
The 706 Castech heads were on the 4.8/5.3. Not all 706 heads are from Castech. The only way to know is to remove the valve covers and see if it has the Castech logo on it, which looks like a "hollow AA/C battery". The 862 heads are the same head, but it was the Castech heads that a weak point in the casting, not in the design.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/Bluegorilla/2008-12-05_142924_Coolant_loss_5.3.pdf

Well thinking if I have a chance to chose between more than one truck Ill probably let casting be a deciding factor.

I really doubt I could, nor do I want to pull covers on a truck Im looking at.
Wondering if a bore scope would be good enough and/or able to view the battery cast or at least look for cracks or mix with oil.

As you can see, ones Im looking at vary in mileage from 70 to 180k :/

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you're not pulling those off to inspect before you buy it, and you can't tell until you do. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, nor would I rule out any vehicle because it might have Castech heads. I would be a little cautious if a seller said it was using coolant, but its supposedly "a very low percentage" of the Castech heads, so its not even all of them if it were one.

If you want to take it farther, and expand your knowledge base; research how difficult/how much it is to replace heads. Even if it were a problem, relatively its not that bad.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the picture of the dash the 4wd module has 3 buttons but not the top (auto 4wd). I own both a 2005 4WD tahoe and a 2005 Denali AWD. The AWD has no buttons, it is just a blank in that spot, on the right side of the dash I have a traction control button. I wonder if it is simply 4wd without the "auto" feature.

Thanks! I knew about casting location from have a 99 Z28. Just didnt know there were different ones on the 5.3
Good to know!

As for the awd question; https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/888032244918905/

OP
OP
nimrod.sixty9

nimrod.sixty9

Hold on, I got this.
Reaction score
No, you're not pulling those off to inspect before you buy it, and you can't tell until you do. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, nor would I rule out any vehicle because it might have Castech heads. I would be a little cautious if a seller said it was using coolant, but its supposedly "a very low percentage" of the Castech heads, so its not even all of them if it were one.

If you want to take it farther, and expand your knowledge base; research how difficult/how much it is to replace heads. Even if it were a problem, relatively its not that bad.

I doubt Id get that out of any seller. And Im about to do something crazy... Buy and near immediately take it on a two week road trip. This is why Ive been so adamant about getting the right one.
Ive been planning this for months and now my Dakota 4.7 cannot be trusted... losing coolant and overheats.

In the picture of the dash the 4wd module has 3 buttons but not the top (auto 4wd). I own both a 2005 4WD tahoe and a 2005 Denali AWD. The AWD has no buttons, it is just a blank in that spot, on the right side of the dash I have a traction control button. I wonder if it is simply 4wd without the "auto" feature.

I specifically asked the guy about 2wd and he said there was no selection.
4hi, 4lo, and N.
Sounds like it's a rare one to stay away from :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs