Long burnout this morning, now PO609 check engine light code.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
Hello Friends

Im starting to get a little desperate at this point.
State inspection runs out soon and I will no longer legally be allowed to drive the Tahoe if it will not pass the OBD State test.

Im still getting the PO609 and sometimes the PO455.

PO609 is VSS vehicle speed sensor
PO 455 is a Large EVAP leak. I have a smoke machine coming soon..

The PO609 still baffles my little brain.

Today 5-31-2019 I removed each wheel speed sensor and cleaned off any metal shavings.

Also removed the speed sensor at the tail of the transmission and checked the pigtail on the plug.

Also followed the rear speeds sensor wires to the top of the transmission.

Used a snap - on scanner and watched each wheel speed sensors and they all show the mph as did the vehicle speedometer.

I guess I will start throwing parts at it. Starting with the two speed sensors in the transmission.

Does anyone have any tips.

I cannot find anything on the PO609

This is a 2007 Tahoe 2wd 5.3 flex fuel.

Has the superchips active fuel management deactivated.

The Snap-On scanner showed VSES Active - No
and VSES Failed - Yes

IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1055.jpg IMG_1056.jpg

OP
OP
B

buddyhotrod

Reaction score
Success at last.

Sunday 6-2-2019 Disconnected both batteries, connected pos to neg leads and turned on ignition along with a few accessories in hopes of draining the capacitors, Cleaned the battery terminals and the leads, Disconnected all plugs from computer and plugged them all back in, removed the entire fuse box and reinstalled it, removed every fuse to check for blown fuses, reinstalled them all. Removed body to frame ground and cleaned surface to bare metal and reinstalled body to frame ground wire. Installed new A/C delco Speed sensor at the tail section of the transmission. Reconnected batteries. Cleared codes.

Drove the Tahoe about 30 miles today and still no check engine light or codes.
Ran up to the State inspection station and plugged into the states computer, No codes and only one incomplete.
Went ahead with inspection and passed. No codes.

So relieved.

Not so sure the speed sensor in the transmission was the issue, possibly just unplugging the various plugs and reconnecting them may have given them better contact along with the removal and reinstall of the fuses and grounds could have helped with better cleaner contact.

Hope this helps someone else down the line.