Long and low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The back is starting to ride like total crap. Something bottoms out hard over dips. Not sure if it's the shock bottoming out or the rear end hitting the frame but it's starting to get frustrating. I'm ready to put the stock suspension back in the truck because I don't feel like having to buy $500 adjustable shocks

I can't remember, but I think you notched the crossmember above the axle where the panhard bar hits like I did... didn't you?

Do you have the air lift bags inside your springs???

I just got Rancho 9 way adjustable struts for the front of mine.

Haven't got them put on yet but after I do, if I like them, I have been kicking around the idea of ditching the 6" rear springs and going to the Trailblazer SS air bags in the rear hooked up to the auto leveling compressor and going with the Rancho 9 way adjustable shocks in the rear as well.

Currently the rear bounces around like an old hoopty when going over certain bridges that have repetitive humps. Nothing bottoms out but it just rides like an old Caddy with worn out shocks in the back.

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the crossmember has plenty of clearance for the panhard bar mount. The front rides beautiful but over big off camber dips, the tires rub the fender in the back and I’m only on a 255/50/20

My back does the exact same thing you described but also bottoms out. I was just thinking about the tbss bags but I’m probably just going to order a 4” drop spring for the rear and either ditch the drop spindle up front or put stock shocks back in

kbuskill

Reaction score
Yes the crossmember has plenty of clearance for the panhard bar mount. The front rides beautiful but over big off camber dips, the tires rub the fender in the back and I’m only on a 255/50/20

My back does the exact same thing you described but also bottoms out. I was just thinking about the tbss bags but I’m probably just going to order a 4” drop spring for the rear and either ditch the drop spindle up front or put stock shocks back in

As mentioned, I am going to ditch the Belltech drop struts and go with the Ranchos bolted to the bottom of the control arm with Grade 9 hardware. With the 2"spindles and without the 1/4" spacer I am guessing it will be 3.5-4" up front.

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned, I am going to ditch the Belltech drop struts and go with the Ranchos bolted to the bottom of the control arm with Grade 9 hardware. With the 2"spindles and without the 1/4" spacer I am guessing it will be 3.5-4" up front.

It just sucks that this “kit” gives such a ****** quality ride

Funny picture I took yesterday at Lowe’s parked next to my dad’s van

7B43F6E7-C9B5-40A0-978A-A98A661B0932.jpeg

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have always thought about mounting my front struts under the control arms but it looks like one hard bump where your strut bottoms out, your strut bolts will break and your front end will be on the ground. why cant they just make shorter struts?

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have always thought about mounting my front struts under the control arms but it looks like one hard bump where your strut bottoms out, your strut bolts will break and your front end will be on the ground. why cant they just make shorter struts?

I was skeptical myself... but Rough Country makes a "kit" to bolt them to the bottom with a 1/4" spacer for a 2" drop and they include Grade 9 (180,000 psi shear strength) hardware.

I figure if it's good enough for Rough Country to put their neck on the line selling the kit then it must be ok.

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no problems with the way the front rides. I have no spacers under the cup. My only issue with the front is the tires rub the fenders pretty bad so I bought trailer fenders to tub the front. I'm just procrastinating because I don't feel like moving the fuse box lol

justinesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to research that. Id like to do that too

OP
OP
Doug118

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grabbed some 24’s today for $150. They need 4 tires but that’s fine because these are WAY too big with this drop. They’re 305/35/24. I’m going to run a 275/30 in the rear and 255/30 in the front. The truck in the pictures is sitting on the front tire and has over an inch to go down all around

7938ACB0-0653-448C-8AAC-3465D7A81573.jpeg 19BCABB2-C618-4BEB-A5A0-54DF2D5D5794.jpeg A79498D1-8065-4ED2-8238-2F33D6290444.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts