Locking Diff Install Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikana31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd like some kind of a locking differtial on my 2013 SSV. I frequently tow up 7k lbs with it, so I have to keep that in mind.

What would be the most cost effective solution that I won't tear up by towing?

About how much should it cost to get installed?

Thanks in advance, guys.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like some kind of a locking differtial on my 2013 SSV. I frequently tow up 7k lbs with it, so I have to keep that in mind.

Thanks in advance, guys.
Might see if you can find a rear axle off of a nnbs unit that has a locking differential and just do a swap. Just need to make sure it has the right gear ratio.

BTW-This was posted in the 2015-2020 section not the 2007-2014 section.

@Miami-Dade , @soulsea , or @07Burb might be able to move it for you.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I agree with what @wjburken said, the most straight forward and easiest swap is another rear axle with the same gearing.

There are numerous choices for locking diff components and the price to install varies greatly depending on the expertise of the installer. I always left it up to a pro that had the right tools and knowledge and a great following of people who trusted him/her.

You did not say how many miles is on your rig so that can come in to play too if when the tech gets in there and sees other needs with the gears and such, the price goes up from there. Even if you get another axle I would get all seals done at the same time when the work is done.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took mine to a local Yukon Gear and Axle vendor/Installer.

I went from 3.08s and open diff to 3.73 and locker. Since my truck was at 70,000 miles I also opted for the full master rebuild kit too. Also included a lifetime warranty where I had the vendor install and did the master rebuild.

Parts and labor (with shop supplies and taxes) $1700.

On of the top 5 mods I have done to my PPV

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Are you sure you don’t have the G80 differential already? You can check the service data plate in your glovebox.

Good call.

Plus, I have used Yukon Gear many many many times in my shops over the years with no problems. Great guys and quality products and their kits are built with all the correct choices in mind.

OP
OP
M

Mikana31

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. Sorry about that. Can a moderator move it?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance, guys.

Something else to consider. 2007-2014 Rear Wheel Drive Denalis and Escalades all came with a 14-bolt 9.5 inch semi-floating rear axle with the G80 and 3.42 gears. It's a direct swap. If you keep the original housing, most folks get a Tru-Trac and call it a day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17