Lock warning light on dash??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
I wasn't sure what section to post this in so I am posting it here. I hope it in the right place.

I have had my 2004 Tahoe for about a year and a half now and about a week ago this light came on on the dash after about 30 minutes into my drive but no message on the display and the truck just kept doing its thing, business as usual. I then stopped, shut the truck off and restarted it like 5 minutes later and no light for the rest of the day, then about 2 days later, it came on again about an hour into a drive, and again no message or anything unusual and truck was all normal except for this light. Then yesterday it turned on within a few minutes and turning the truck off and back on turned the light out again for about 10 minutes and I again stopped, shut the truck off and restarted it and it never came back on and did about 2 hours of driving after that. Of course I don't have the users manual that came with the truck and I'm not finding a lot of info and what I find is a lot of different things and wondering what this could be. Any help or ideas where to start looking would be great. Thanks. I don't have the truck running here so I can get the light to come on. Once I start it, it goes out. Also, excuse all the dirt and dust. I live in the country on dirt roads so its unavoidable. lol

PicsArt_06-17-09.13.55.jpg

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is the indicator for the security system, usually when this lights up it is the ignition loosing a connection, normally replacing the ignition switch will resolve the problem, but in some cases the ignition housing needs to be replaced also. do you have a large keychain? sometimes a heavy weight on the ignition will wear it out. A scanner like a tech2 may verify the problem, I wouldn't just run out and change the ignition without getting diagnostics to verify it could be other things.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Nope. Just the door lock remote and thats it. I hate bug bulky key ring things.

Whats weird is it will just do it randomly and everything keeps working just fine, even if its just sitting still. I will look in to that though for sure. Thanks.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the check engine light also on all the time? i see it on in the pic but the truck dont seem to be running. but even off it should turn off with all the other dummy lights.

if the cel lights on scan it for a code. def a security issue.

my truck 05 hoe, when i hit the lock fob that security light come son the dash for 30 seconds and then turns off. thought it was odd, owners manual said its normal. so its supposed to do that.

if you roll down the window, lock the doors, wait for that light to go off, then manually unlock the door, then open the door the alarm should go off. thats the is my alarm working test.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
No, the check engine light is not on when this light comes on and the truck is running and no, the truck is not running in the picture. To get the light to come on I had to turn the key on all the way but as soon as I start the truck it goes out, and so does the check engine light.

Also, I tried the alarm thing, I rolled the drivers window down, locked the doors with the remote, and once the lock light went off on the dash, I reached in, unlocked the door and opened it and nothing happened. But if I open the door while its still on, the light will blink until I close the door again then it will stop blinking but eventually turn off.

Also, I was just wondering, I dont have the stock head unit and am running a PAC unit in the dash and I know the factory radio was one of the stupid theft lock radios and wondering if maybe that could have something to do with it. I dont know.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theftlock radio is just to lock that radio out from use if it's plugged into a vehicle with a different VIN in it's programming. It's one-way communication- The radio (or it's absence) doesn't communicate the security info back to the car. It's only two-way communication is within the warning and turn signal tones.

I'm leaning towards failing ignition cylinder or it's circuit or even a worn or damaged key. Have a spare key you can try? Next time it happens, try pressing in inward and or upward on the key and holding it to see if the light goes off. Although it may not clear itself until the car is restarted and the problem not present.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
My key is pretty worn out and its the only one I have. I have tried to wiggle it and the light wouldnt go out. Maybe I will see if I can get a new key cut for it and see if that makes a difference.

20190617_162602.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My key is pretty worn out and its the only one I have. I have tried to wiggle it and the light wouldnt go out. Maybe I will see if I can get a new key cut for it and see if that makes a difference.

View attachment 225086

It'd be a safe measure to have a spare, anyway. Have one cut from the VIN and not just a copy of your current one. Otherwise, it'd just be a new one in the shape of a worn key.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Im going to go get a new key cut this weekend off the VIN and see what that does. If it doenst fix it, at least I will have a spare finally.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Just an update, the truck just randomly stopped showing the lock light and hasnt done it now in almost 2 months. I did get a key but without it doing it again I dont know if that has anything to do with it. I dont use the new key though. Keep it a my spare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts