LMG Vin 0 compatibility with other codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badbaddolemite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Yuk/Hoe experts! I have an 08 with 250k on it and it’s been diagnosed with head gasket catastrophic failure in cyl 5 and all the typical issues leading up to it with the oiling and whatnot from the DoD. I decided earlier this year that I really want to put a motor into it rather than messing around with an HG and waiting for the next failure. I really don’t have the 10 grand to put into a long block, shipping to Alaska sucks. I have a mechanic willing to rebuild a core, but I need to get the core. Again, shipping to Alaska sucks, and I’ve never been able to find an LMG at a junkyard in the state. Before I go all in on getting something shipped up here, what is the compatibility between other 5.3’s of this generation? I plan on doing the AFM delete and all that anyway, could I start with an LC9 since those abound up here? Is there a good resource that has reference to all the differences between the option codes? Thanks in advance.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Yuk/Hoe experts! I have an 08 with 250k on it and it’s been diagnosed with head gasket catastrophic failure in cyl 5 and all the typical issues leading up to it with the oiling and whatnot from the DoD. I decided earlier this year that I really want to put a motor into it rather than messing around with an HG and waiting for the next failure. I really don’t have the 10 grand to put into a long block, shipping to Alaska sucks. I have a mechanic willing to rebuild a core, but I need to get the core. Again, shipping to Alaska sucks, and I’ve never been able to find an LMG at a junkyard in the state. Before I go all in on getting something shipped up here, what is the compatibility between other 5.3’s of this generation? I plan on doing the AFM delete and all that anyway, could I start with an LC9 since those abound up here? Is there a good resource that has reference to all the differences between the option codes? Thanks in advance.
You can absolutely go with the LC9, the only difference is its aluminum block. 2007-2009 LMGs, LY5s and LC9s don't have VVT. The 2010+ LMGs and LC9s have VVT.

There was also the 2007-2009 LY6 and L76 6.0 motors without FlexFuel and latter had AFM. The L96 6.0 drops right in, it has VVT, you can pin your ECM and reprogram it for VVT. You could delete it too.

Then you have the 2007-2008 L92, the 2009-2013 L9H and the 2010-2014 L94. All of these are 6.2 motors with VVT with the last one having AFM.

There are some other less common 5.3s that did not have AFM and you can learn about all LS engines here:

Stick with Gen IV engines, too much of a hassle trying to make a Gen III work, even if the motor was free.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You have lots of options...

You can absolutely go with the LC9, the only difference is its aluminum block. 2007-2009 LMGs, LY5s and LC9s don't have VVT. The 2010+ LMGs and LC9s have VVT.

There was also the 2007-2009 LY6 and L76 6.0 motors without FlexFuel and latter had AFM. The L96 6.0 drops right in, it has VVT, you can pin your ECM and reprogram it for VVT. You could delete it too.

Then you have the 2007-2008 L92, the 2009-2013 L9H and the 2010-2014 L94. All of these are 6.2 motors with VVT with the last one having AFM.

There are some other less common 5.3s that did not have AFM and you can learn about all LS engines here:

Stick with Gen IV engines, too much of a hassle trying to make a Gen III work, even if the motor was free.

... And this dude has you covered. I'd probably go for another 5.3 unless I were interested in building up the rest of the drivetrain. Your '08 would have the 4L60E, and they don't like a whole lot of torque. The 6.2 puts out almost 60 ft. lbs. higher than what the 4L60E is rated for.

OP
OP
B

badbaddolemite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great! The VIN post is exactly what I was looking for. I would prefer an iron block I think since this will likely be a junkyard core. I’m really not into upgrading all the drivetrain and all that for a 6.0, I just was wondering feasibility. Obviously I would love to just find a 5.3 LMG core and be done with it, but Alaska is pretty slim pickings right now. What does “PIN the ECM” mean? I know I’m going to need the unit reprogrammed for the AFM delete, would more programming be required for the other engine codes?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! The VIN post is exactly what I was looking for. I would prefer an iron block I think since this will likely be a junkyard core. I’m really not into upgrading all the drivetrain and all that for a 6.0, I just was wondering feasibility. Obviously I would love to just find a 5.3 LMG core and be done with it, but Alaska is pretty slim pickings right now. What does “PIN the ECM” mean? I know I’m going to need the unit reprogrammed for the AFM delete, would more programming be required for the other engine codes?
If you purchase a 2010+ LC9 or LMG with VVT, you will need to add the connector to the motor and wiring to the ECM. Then the tuner can activate it in the tune. Same for any 6.0 or 6.2 motor. Alternatively, you can delete VVT or if your donor comes with it, just leave it as is, parked and unplugged. No harm, no foul.

OP
OP
B

badbaddolemite

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see, that makes perfect sense. I would think I probably want to delete it. My goal is to get the truck back together as close to stock as possible. I’m not going for any kind of performance with it, I just want it back on the road and reliable. You say leave the VVT unplugged and no harm no foul. I am seeing a lot of 2010+ 5.3 available in my area with pretty low miles. If I were to take one and swap it straight in without any mechanical done to the core, would the ECM just require reprogramming? Or would I be best suited to get the ECM from the donor as well?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, that makes perfect sense. I would think I probably want to delete it. My goal is to get the truck back together as close to stock as possible. I’m not going for any kind of performance with it, I just want it back on the road and reliable. You say leave the VVT unplugged and no harm no foul. I am seeing a lot of 2010+ 5.3 available in my area with pretty low miles. If I were to take one and swap it straight in without any mechanical done to the core, would the ECM just require reprogramming? Or would I be best suited to get the ECM from the donor as well?

Aside from the VVT, the newer trucks have a different MAF sensor style that might operate on a different scaling than the one you have now. There could be other differences as well. I'd keep it simple and keep the original PCM. Also, I'd get the harness for the VVT and have it activated in the tune. That's just my opinion, though. You'd have a broader power band, which would help a little when wheelin' through the snow. It's nothing life-altering, but it is useful power left on the table.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh