LM2 Break In?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right to me for fast driving over East Coast elevations.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both engines are "broken in" in about 150 hours on the meter. But as diesels wear in the cylinder walls over a much longer time, their efficiency improves, and they start attaining their best economy and pulling power around 30-50K miles depending on how hard you have worked them. Diesel engine life expectancy is much higher than a gas engine (Sans emissions controls). A million-mile diesel engine is not all that uncommon. 50K miles on a diesel engine is like 10K on a gas engine....The more it runs the better it likes it...

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed driving BMW B48, Benz 220D and Audi 40 TD four cylinder turbo diesels on German roads is that they are noticeably slower to accelerate at high speeds - say over 100 mph - BUT, those cars still made it to an indicated 235-240 kph, almost 150mph.

At our speeds, 80 - 90 mph, it won't make much of a difference to notice.

This in line turbo six has plenty of get up and go. I wish GM would build a big sedan around this engine and platform, like a Roadmaster or DeVille.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But as diesels wear in the cylinder walls over a much longer time, their efficiency improves, and they start attaining their best economy and pulling power around 30-50K miles depending on how hard you have worked them

I completely disagree, but it's all good, I like people thinking machines get better over time.

OBSSSD

Reaction score
Approximately how long does it take for the Lm2 Duramax to break in. I've heard it can take about 2k miles for the compression to build before you see better MPGs and power. Does that sound right?

Also what is the best way to drive the Tahoe w/ the Lm2 to maximize efficiency?
My mpg was great brand new, maybe another 1mpg after 1,000 miles but near no change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu