List of Repairs - DIY or Mechanic?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The lower ball joint has its crimped lip, without removing the crimped lip with a chisel, the ball joint can not be pressed out without damaged Aluminum lower control arm.

The real labor should be higher than i hour.

Ill also respectfully add my opinion of 30/45 minutes doing both lower ball joints would require the stars to align with the cosmos and donald trump and nancy pelosi to be spotted at a sandals resort!

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
While 30-45 mins may be a bit of a stretch they are really not that bad.

Hit the ball joint lip with a grinder and you can usually knock them out with a couple good blows from a ball peen hammer if you don't have a ball joint press.

Biggest thing to remember is to get the appropriate ball joints for your truck.

There is a difference between the ball joints for the steel VS aluminum control arms.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I appreciate again all the support here. I decided to do the suspension portion this weekend. Here is the list of products I have in my cart, about to click purchase.

I thought I'd just run it by here to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I decided since I'm doing new shocks, I might as well do a small lift/level as well. Here's the list:

1) Bilstein 24-186940 Front Shock Absorber x2
2) Bilstein 24-187237 Rear Shock Absorber x2
3) Moog 81069 Springs (Front)
4) Moog 81244 Springs (Rear)
5) Moog K160072 Coil Spring Insulator x8
6) Rough Country (1307) 2" Front End
7) Belltech 35323 Spring Distance Kit 1" (Rear)
8) Moog K500007 Ball Joint (for aluminum arms) x2

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awww hellz yea. Hey the less you spend on the mechanic labor, the more cool **** you can put in your truck. amirite?!

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Awww hellz yea. Hey the less you spend on the mechanic labor, the more cool **** you can put in your truck. amirite?!

Absolutely! They wanted $1,100 for shocks and ball joints. I'm doing all of those + the level/lift + springs for only $717

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Oh, and as for the control arms...generally a super easy job...generally. Unless your bushings are seized to the bolts. Then you're in for a treat. I'd highly suggest getting some cams and pins to have on standby in case you crack a cam, or pop out a pin. I cracked a single cam, and lost 2 pins because a bushing was sized up. I beat on that thing for about 2 hours with a hammer, and a torch. Good times.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1393845&cc=1433420

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=962908&cc=1433420

@Derick - Are you recommending getting these for the lower, aluminum control arms?

Thebesta94

Reaction score
I just replaced heater hoses for $55... the hose was 42 and the pack of quick connect releases from oriely was about 12.50... took about 30 minutes

And just ordered new heavy duty control arms for 450, and assume it will take a few hours.

As for the rest I'd say you could most likely do yourself after a couple YouTube videos. But I wouldn't reccomend trying to align it

Good luck!

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
I just replaced heater hoses for $55... the hose was 42 and the pack of quick connect releases from oriely was about 12.50... took about 30 minutes

And just ordered new heavy duty control arms for 450, and assume it will take a few hours.

As for the rest I'd say you could most likely do yourself after a couple YouTube videos. But I wouldn't reccomend trying to align it

Good luck!

Thanks @Thebesta94. Did you find a youtube for the heater hose replacements? I just ordered RC uppers. Since taking apart my whole suspension last weekend, I know it's only about 30-45min per side to do UCA's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne