Liquid stain in paint around sunroof etc.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Landonz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Landonz

Landonz TYF Newbie

Name:
    Landon
    New to the forums so hope this is the correct place for this thread. This past weekend I gave my 2013 tahoe a very good wash and detail and noticed some sort of a liquid stain around the sunroof and it runs down into door molding area. Almost looks like a chemical stain. Hard to see unless it's under a LED light then its obvious. Bought this car used in june so unfortunately I have no clue what the previous owners did. Any idea on what would fix this?

Any advice/opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thank you!

20190922_195808.jpg 20190922_195748.jpg

2. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    I am no detail expert but it appears if that just doesn't "wash off" then it's probably stained into the paint and is going to take some serious buffing with some kind of commercial level high grit pad, if you ever have a mirror break and leak the dimming chemical inside on to the paint it will leave a similar stain and is almost impossible to get out, my guess is it was parked under a tree that had some nasty sap or maybe it was parked some where and got a chemical spilled on it from above, could have occurred in any number of ways. It doesn't appear to be a defect in the paint clear coat, just from the pictures my first guess would be some kind of hard water stain?

3. Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz Resident resident

Name:
    Tony
  4. adventurenali92

adventurenali92 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chase
    Not sure what it is. Could be from anything. More than likely it’ll come off. Not with buffing though, as @Doubeleive stated. That’s different than polishing.
    A heavy duty clay bar and then a good polish compound with the correct pad and a machine should take it off.

Miami-Dade and Doubeleive like this.