Limited Slip Differential on 2022 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It looks like Chevy finally offers a LSD on the 22 Z71's, does anyone have any information on this?? That, along with the 6.2 availability, makes it a ton more appealing.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like Chevy finally offers a LSD on the 22 Z71's, does anyone have any information on this?? That, along with the 6.2 availability, makes it a ton more appealing.
It looks to be the same as GMC has been offering in the 2021 AT4 Yukon's. People seem to think it is a big upgrade over the G80 locker when things get gnarly on the trail. Having said that, I have a G80 in my 2007 Yukon and now my 2021 Sierra 1500 AT4 and frankly only have had a few instances (in 14 years) where I think the eLSD might have made a difference over the G80.

Here is a comparison the TFL guys did between the G80 (Trail Boss) and the new eLSD (2021 AT4 Yukon). The eLSD looks pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FYI; For 2021, it was just the "Mechanical Limited Slip Differential" RPO code "G86" (new for the independent rear suspension). So it did have a LSD, just not the electronic version, which it looks like they're offering now.

Attachments

• 8395CB7F-96AF-4662-A8CF-D547CA9CBC96_1_201_a.jpeg
    8395CB7F-96AF-4662-A8CF-D547CA9CBC96_1_201_a.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 16

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea my 21 RST has the LSD which is labeled on my sticker as well. Haven’t gotten a chance to use it yet but from the vids I’ve seen on YouTube it seems to work well. That video from TFL was a failed attempt as it was not engaged during the video. There are others that show it working. Granted the ELSD seems to work flawlessly but correct me if I’m wrong in the Z71 it’s only available with an off-road package or is it standard now. Think I saw something you need an off-road package on the Z.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI; For 2021, it was just the "Mechanical Limited Slip Differential" RPO code "G86" (new for the independent rear suspension). So it did have a LSD, just not the electronic version, which it looks like they're offering now.
Thanks for the correction. Not the first (or probably the last) time those guys got the facts a little off. I will say, the mechanical LSD they had in that Yukon looked pretty good compared to the G80 in the Trail Boss.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea my 21 RST has the LSD which is labeled on my sticker as well. Haven’t gotten a chance to use it yet but from the vids I’ve seen on YouTube it seems to work well. That video from TFL was a failed attempt as it was not engaged during the video. There are others that show it working. Granted the ELSD seems to work flawlessly but correct me if I’m wrong in the Z71 it’s only available with an off-road package or is it standard now. Think I saw something you need an off-road package on the Z.
What was not engaged?

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction. Not the first (or probably the last) time those guys got the facts a little off. I will say, the mechanical LSD they had in that Yukon looked pretty good compared to the G80 in the Trail Boss.
The '21 Yukon had the eLSD available on the At4 and Denali. That is what they tested in that video. Other trims of the Yukon and all Tahoe's/Suburbans could get the mechanical locking diff. For '22 the eLSD is also available in the Tahoe/Suburban.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '21 Yukon had the eLSD available on the At4 and Denali. That is what they tested in that video. Other trims of the Yukon and all Tahoe's/Suburbans could get the mechanical locking diff. For '22 the eLSD is also available in the Tahoe/Suburban.
Thanks for the correction of the correction. All fairly academic for me as I have two G80's, which seem to work fine for all the off-road stuff we do.

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction of the correction. All fairly academic for me as I have two G80's, which seem to work fine for all the off-road stuff we do.
Same here, the G80 has always worked well for me. Havent had the eLSD in anything slick yet - can't imagine the difference is all that significant unless you're into something pretty rough.