Limited slip differential 20 v 21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drust89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A really good off road test video just dropped on youtube. here is the link. i recommend going to the 15:00 mark. Apparently the 4wd auto works better than the 4wd low on the chevy. they then compare it to the GMC.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What diff is it physically? Same 8.6”?

Jsenky

Reaction score
A really good off road test video just dropped on youtube. here is the link. i recommend going to the 15:00 mark. Apparently the 4wd auto works better than the 4wd low on the chevy. they then compare it to the GMC.

Did that basically say that the gmc system worked more like a true locker and performed better?

i havent taken my at4 off roading yet but would like to do some casual trails like this. My buddy takes his jeep on stuff like this but if i damage my $75k ride that would be a huge problem in many ways lol.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious how the 2wd models would do. Mine is a 2wd, don't off road but do go in dirt roads and minimal sand at lakes. I've seen I have snow/ice mode which I don't see myself using at all but curious how it would perform. Also I assume the LSD kicks in automatically when it senses slippage?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Those videos are disappointing. I am surprised in 2021 that GM is selling a premium SUV without effective 4 wheel drive traction aids, whether they be mechanical or electronic.

Especially considering it’s not even new technology; GM used it in the Hummer line over a decade ago. Those were capable of advancing if even 1 tire had traction because the BLD ( brake lock differential) was so effective.

I‘ve also owned vehicles from Nissan, Ford, and Toyota with very effective traction control in 4WD. GM apparently isn’t targeting drivers who want off-road performance.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those videos are disappointing. I am surprised in 2021 that GM is selling a premium SUV without effective 4 wheel drive traction aids, whether they be mechanical or electronic.

Especially considering it’s not even new technology; GM used it in the Hummer line over a decade ago. Those were capable of advancing if even 1 tire had traction because the BLD ( brake lock differential) was so effective.

I‘ve also owned vehicles from Nissan, Ford, and Toyota with very effective traction control in 4WD. GM apparently isn’t targeting drivers who want off-road performance.
I love mine, but having had a JEEP grand Cherokee in Midwestern blizzards, I can pretty much say this is no Quadra Trac….
The two best four-wheel-drive systems I ever owned were the jeeps and an Acura MDX with SH-AWD… both could push snow over the hood…
but reality is, we don’t get snow like that anymore…

MJMath4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's another video of the g86 working. it shows that a fair amount of slip needs to happen first for the power to transfer to the wheel with traction, but it does eventually do it.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's another video of the g86 working. it shows that a fair amount of slip needs to happen first for the power to transfer to the wheel with traction, but it does eventually do it.
This demonstration is consistent with other G86 I’ve experienced. The G96 works much faster but is much more complex.