Light bulb replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's the idiot that designed that shit? he ought to be hung by his n#t Sa$k. On my Caddy you have to remove the front bumper. I guess they figure if you can afford to drive these you can afford the hundred bucks or so labor to change a frickin light bulb. Just my 2cents!!!!
it used to be easy on the GMT 800 and before you could have your light stolen in seconds
on my old w body it only took 15 seconds to swap them out not including the time struggling to open the package for the bulbs

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my Yukon XL Denali it was a GIANT PITA....

I hope the Silverstars last. I even turn my headlights off and turn foglights on to save the hours on them during long daytime drives.....

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad once you get the technique down. Popping the air cleaner box out of the way on the pass side or the 2nd batt tray and the washer bottle mounting bolts on the driver's side you can get enough wiggle room to get most of the bulbs. And I got big fuggin ape hands so it should be easier for most of you than for me.

1A Auto has a good video, write up and tool list for this if you must remove the whole housing:

https://www.1aauto.com/chevy-headlight-set/i/1alhp00559?f=349278&y=2007#video-placeholder

1. STEP 1: REMOVING THE HEADLIGHT (0:25)
    • Open the hood
    • Remove the two 10mm bolts from the top of the headlight
    • Apply painter's tape to the bumper below the headlight
    • Remove the 7mm screws from the inner fender
    • Pry the push pins out of the inner fender with a trim tool
    • Peel back the inner fender
    • Remove the 10mm bolt from the rear of the headlight
    • Separate the bumper clips by hand
    • Pull the bumper loose
    • Pull the headlight forward and off
    • Disconnect the headlight electrical connector
  2. STEP 2: INSTALLING THE HEADLIGHT (4:58)
    • Connect the headlight electrical connector
    • Line up the headlight using the locating tabs
    • Maneuver the headlight into place
    • Install the two 10mm bolts into the top of the headlight
    • Install the 10mm bolt into the rear of the headlight
    • Remove the tape from the bumper
    • Push the bumper tabs into place
    • Push the inner fender into place
    • Push the plastic clips into the inner fencer
    • Insert the 7mm bolts into the inner fender
    • Adjust the headlight as needed with a 5mm Allen key
Tools needed for replacement:

• Hex Wrenches
  • 5mm Hex Wrench

Materials, Fluids, and Supplies
  • Painter's Tape

Ratchets & Related
  • Ratchet

Screwdrivers & Related
  • Flat Blade Screwdriver

Sockets - Metric
  • 7mm Socket
  • 10mm Socket

Specialty Tools
  • Trim Tool Set

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who's the idiot that designed that shit? he ought to be hung by his n#t Sa$k. On my Caddy you have to remove the front bumper. I guess they figure if you can afford to drive these you can afford the hundred bucks or so labor to change a frickin light bulb. Just my 2cents!!!!
If you think these are bad you should go look at the ones on a Malibu.... dealer quoted a girl I work with $219 to do one low beam headlight bulb... the bumper has to be completely removed... sent her to a friend's body shop after telling her to buy ALL the bulbs... he charged her $40...

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 2007 Yukon XL, I had to remove the headlight housing to get at the bulbs. There are 2-3 screws visible and reachable from the top, and at least 1 screw that is accessible from the wheel well, by peeling back the wheel well lining.

Yup, no such thing as quickly replacing light bulbs.. is there?

OP
OP
Ron C

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score

probably someone with kids young enough that can get their hand/arm in there. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu