Lifting the Hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
I've been looking around for some suspension lifts and well i need some opinions from the ppl that have one already. Im looking into a 4" or 6" lift, im gunna put some 285/70/16 MT tires in the next few weeks. Alot of ppl have said to go with rancho or pro comp, but does it seriously matter what you have?? If you don't get a well name brand does it make you look cheap?? lol
Like i said give me some suggestions.

Thanx

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason why some companies are preferred is due to the history of quality in their products and how well the products work. It's not necessarily that one product looks better, it's that certain companies have been tried and tested and have a good reputation with their customers.

With that being said, all companies have to start out somewhere and gain that experience and trust with the community it serves. Rancho and ProComp had to start somewhere and someone had to be the "guinea pig" for their product to gain the reputation that they have as a well known brand. So I wouldn't necessarily discount a lift just because the company is newer.

Last edited:

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a DC 6.5" true drop (dick cepek) it is the tallest 6" kit out there that is typically cranked to about 8" in the front. It is made from the blood of virgins too. On a serious note it is know to be one of the most if the most durable kits out there. every kit will have it's benefits. The DC kits is about the toughest for install and not exactly cheap, but it is pure beef. most 6" kits look great with a 35" tire too. Keep in mind that many 6" kits are really a 4" or maybe a little more in the actual diff. drop and then require a tbar crank for the remaining elevation. That sounds like what you are asking for.

Keep this in mind, you will want to go bigger shortly after you lift it the first time so think long and hard about a small lift.

OP
OP
Devious_Tahoe96

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
Well i don't want my hoe to look like a monster truck with that big of a lift but i also don't want it too low. Just a 6" lift and crank the tbars a lil. Im still debating if i should get a bod lift. On another note, where do i find the ujoints in the front diff??

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
in my opinion the best 6" kits are: Cepek, Superlift, and BDS. all three of those are also usually the most expensive of the lifts available which is their downside. I wouldnt go w/ 33's and 6" i would at least go with a 35" tire. And the "ujoints in the front diff" i am assuming you mean drive shaft? and those are on your front driveshaft lol. I'm not sure i understand the question.

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
I didn't want to be the first to say "...at the end of your front drive shaft", :lol:.

In all honestly, there are quite a few quality "budget" lifts available. There are quite a few factors to consider. Self installation is a HUGE factor when picking a lift.

OP
OP
Devious_Tahoe96

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
Well i found a 6" lift that RCX makes but idk if you guys would consider that a "cheap" brand. Its only going for $995.99 figured it would fit my budget. Oh ant since there are ujoints in the back diff i thought it would have some in the front since its a 4x4. Correct me if im wrong.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
RCX is a great kit for the money. I honestly have never heard a single bad thing about them from anyone that actually owns/installed one. And any drive shaft will have u joints on it.

knotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running 285/75/16 on my stock 96 4 door with no rubbing !

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any lift can be good...it just dpends the function of the truck. Is it a show truck that is trailered everywhere or is it a hard core trail rig. These kinds of things are helpful to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts