Lifting My 2001 GMC Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the4wheelinman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering if there was anything special things required to lift my 2001 GMC Yukon SLT. I have the wheels and tires sorted out (33" Tire 17" Wheel all with proper backspacing) I'm getting a Trailmaster 6" Suspension lift (6" front 4" Back trailmaster classify's this as a 6" so thats what i'm calling it) and just want to know if there is anything special i need or problems i may run into lifting it? It is a 4x4 not that i think it will make a difference. Any feedback?

Thanks.

Dylan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you bought the kit then you should be good to go. Make sure it comes with a front diff drop bracket or you'll probably need some new CV's to handle the angles.

midmohoe

Reaction score
a torsion bar key removal tool is handy rough country sells em for about 80 bucks a ball joint press will work also if u have one of those other than that u should be good to go post some pics when u get it dun

OP
OP
T

the4wheelinman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I am actually having the shop where i bought the lift do it for me. Free installation if you you buy trailmaster through him. I just want to make sure that he's not going to call me up and say of by the way you need this and that and 500 bucks later my trucks lifted.

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
I would just check on what gears you have. For 35s your gonna want 4.10s. Other than that you should be good to go.

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just check on what gears you have. For 35s your gonna want 4.10s. Other than that you should be good to go.

Actually 33" tires call for 4.10's 35" tires need 4.56 gears.

new tire diameter (divided by) old tire diameter (x times) old gear ratio = new gear ratio

AquinoSteven

Key and Spacer Guru
Reaction score
^^^^ true, if you have 4.10s, try them out, some people like them, some dont. If it feels to sluggish then go to the 4.56s

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 3.73's with my 33" tires on my yukon and it feels a bit slugish. Im upgrading to 4.10s soon, that should help with MPG too.

jerseyjonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey man i have pretty much the same truck but have the pro comp 6" and you should have no problem with the 33s. Just make sure you have the whole kit, dont skimp or you will be sorry and will be replacing axels and ujoints like crazy because of the angles

ryangt

double team supreme
Reaction score
hey man i have pretty much the same truck but have the pro comp 6" and you should have no problem with the 33s. Just make sure you have the whole kit, dont skimp or you will be sorry and will be replacing axels and ujoints like crazy because of the angles

Yeah, double what he said.

I actually take my yukon offroad daily and these things break parts easily if you dont do it right the first time.... almost like it rejects poor quality stuff..

Also, do you have a v8? if so, dont underestimate the power of it, its got alot of grunt and can snap a cv or drive shaft faster than you would ever imagine.

Gearing seems fine so far, the standard locking diff is pretty damn good, but if you plan on crawling, i would invest in some beefier gearing, afterall, these trucks are glorified minivans as opposed to dedicated 4wd machines. They do have alot of potential but you are going to spend some cash to make them solid offroad.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Hey i was wondering if there was anything special things required to lift my 2001 GMC Yukon SLT. I have the wheels and tires sorted out (33" Tire 17" Wheel all with proper backspacing) I'm getting a Trailmaster 6" Suspension lift (6" front 4" Back trailmaster classify's this as a 6" so thats what i'm calling it) and just want to know if there is anything special i need or problems i may run into lifting it? It is a 4x4 not that i think it will make a difference. Any feedback?

Thanks.

btw, can you let us know what you think of that lift after you get it installed and actually put it in the dirt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep