Liftgate won’t open fully

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gapost

Reaction score
Long time GM truck/suv owner here. Got a new to me 2019 Tahoe LT. I’ve read all about the liftgate and programming it. My problem is it never opens to the full position even when the console switch is in full. In the full position, it only opens up 3/4. I can push it up to full and it will stay there. I tried programming it with the switch in 3/4 after pushing it up to the full position but it still only opens 3/4’s. Not sure if perhaps my passenger strut is weak or maybe the actuator is the problem. Any ideas are appreciated.

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can download the electrical schematics here.
https://www.gmupfitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/18_Escalade_Body_Builder_SM_U_2017JUL24.pdf

Page 85 thru 93 have schematics and pages 92 thru 94 has descriptions of the operation reffering to the electrical schematics. Looks like some modules involved. Maybe try turning the liftgate off. Then raise it manually turn it on and program? Maybe open it all the way and pull the battery to reset the system. My 2019 worked new as it should. I have not tried reprogramming. Liftgate control module and plenty of sensors. Hope this helps

OP
OP
G

gapost

Reaction score
I'm suspecting the liftgate release switch in the upper console is bad. I'm getting another one to try.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an earlier model and much less sophisticated, but if you push the tailgate all the way open, does it stay there, or does if back down the 3/4? If the tailgate does not stay in the fully raised position, I'd say replace the assist struts.

OP
OP
G

gapost

Reaction score
I have an earlier model and much less sophisticated, but if you push the tailgate all the way open, does it stay there, or does if back down the 3/4? If the tailgate does not stay in the fully raised position, I'd say replace the assist struts.
Yes it will stay open if I push it up. If I try to assist it as it's going up, it will still stop at the 3/4 position. That means something is stopping it. Either the switch or the liftgate control module.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent