Lifters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s a ”design” issue, aren’t new designs supposed to have endurance and field testing? Thousands of hours and miles? Especially not a “proven” design before hitting the market?

Whether it’s bad parts or bad designs, no one dropping 60-120k on a vehicle should ever expect top end engine work and disabling the vehicle for weeks in the 1st 6 months of ownership. That is certainly not creating any goodwill on GM’s part towards future ownership. They need to make these people fully and correctly whole ASAP and provide them with an extended warranty as part of the “I’m sorry “ package to current owners…..

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more complex the design the greater the potential of failure when mass produced. The system could be made to be close to 100% reliable but with added cost. GM engineers design it as well as possible staying within budget but knowing failures will occur. Failures in the field are analyzed and corrected but making permanent changes while continuing production takes time and money. By using early adopters as test monkeys GM will refine these vehicles and in three years they'll be good to go. Believe me GM has PhDs studying every angle.

The consumer has a limited amount of choice for this type of vehicle and sure some will be offended and buy another brand and some will come to GM from those other brands so transferring among the brands for these reasons will be a wash.

21TahoeDisappoint

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll second the presumption that it isn't bad parts. If it was bad parts, the "batch" could be isolated and a recall would be issued based upon manufacture date and knowing what vehicles go the bad parts. GM hasn't issued a recall. The point made in a post above that they only replace the failed parts (what the dealer did in my case), strongly suggests to me that it isn't parts. If it was, why not proactively replace all while the heads were off? GM has a big, big problem here. I'm waiting to assist with the Class Action suit when it comes by providing all data on my experience. GM won't make it right. They can't. It is a design failure and the number of these faulty engines is too high to replace them all. So they will try to manage it, keep it as low-key as possible, and kick their legal department into high gear to hold things off as long as possible.

I'm a member of Porsche board, and what was done there was very helpful. They created a register for everyone to report their issue (in this case it was a transfer case). Power in numbers. Owners could get a good bit of information on number of failures, miles, what dealer did etc. Owners were then well-armed to plead their case to the dealers and Porsche North America. Perhaps the moderators could do that here. Guess what? Porsche reimbursed owners and said the transfer cases were "not up to their usual standards". That was the right thing to do, and as bad as it was, it preserved the brand. GM won't do this. Never has in the past. I'll NEVER, NEVER buy a GM product again because I don't have faith in the design, and I don't think GM will ever stand behind the products and make things right.

Square1Services

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just put in an order for a 2022. Does anyone know if the lifter issue has been resolved or is this likely to be a problem with this particular engine? I got the dreaded lifter tick after 100k on my Chrysler minivan and was hoping I had escaped this problem with GM.

Spez45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Purchased my 2021 Yukon SLT in February of this year. 5k miles on it.. SUV was driving very rough, shaking as though it wanted to shut down.. Several alerts/alarms on dash -engine light, front collateral , traction light, emissions control. Had vehicle towed and was told I had bad lifters with bent rods .. I have no idea what this even means. Found out later that this is a motor issue.. How can this happen to a new vehicle ? I have had 3 brand new Toyota four runners and had never experienced anything like this.. My first GMC purchase and I am disgusted . I do not trust this vehicle to be safe anymore . What is your experience once these are replaced ? What will my resale value be ? Is this recorded on car max ? I will definitely be trading this in ASAP .. and will never ever buy a GMC

Attachments

• 8BF4E47C-6735-4ACB-B8AD-68FC89768BFC.jpeg
    8BF4E47C-6735-4ACB-B8AD-68FC89768BFC.jpeg
    539.7 KB · Views: 9

Spez45

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
17000km 2021

Attachments

• 024B6219-A56A-4074-873B-888B81B387EF.jpeg
    024B6219-A56A-4074-873B-888B81B387EF.jpeg
    539.7 KB · Views: 6