Lifters replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gclemm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2021 Tahoe with 13,000 miles. I first heard a clunking noise drivers side of the engine With multiple warning lights. Dealer stated GM has had issues with bad lifters and push rods. Had lifters and push rods replaced hopefully no other issues.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2021 Tahoe with 13,000 miles. I first heard a clunking noise drivers side of the engine With multiple warning lights. Dealer stated GM has had issues with bad lifters and push rods. Had lifters and push rods replaced hopefully no other issues.
Just curious. Did they do all the lifters or just one side?

Waiting for mine to be diagnosed. No clunking on mine but it’s got a nasty miss and a bunch of warnings on the dash. Mines a year old with 9,100 miles.

Jgrimberg1979

Reaction score
Yeah I am looking for tips on how to make the dealer replace both of them. I am not taking that car back knowing the other side is likely going to the same thing and put me in the same disaster situation I put my family through while traveling and breaking down in a area I don’t know or no help nearbyZ screw that. I will pay for the material on the other side if it comes to that but I won’t take it back with just one side fixed

Anyone have any tips.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am looking for tips on how to make the dealer replace both of them. I am not taking that car back knowing the other side is likely going to the same thing and put me in the same disaster situation I put my family through while traveling and breaking down in a area I don’t know or no help nearbyZ screw that. I will pay for the material on the other side if it comes to that but I won’t take it back with just one side fixed

Anyone have any tips.
I’ve got none…they only did the left side.

What’s funny is the service manger told me he hasn’t seen one come back yet so far with the other side, but I know from this forum that occurs. Guessing when it happens, it’s a situation when you’re not near the dealer so a different one has to do it.

For me it acted up when I started the engine after it sitting for a few hours at work…I always disabled the auto-stop, so lately I’ve been letting the auto-stop kick in as much as possible hoping to mess up the other side. :)

Also I called Chevrolet customer service to complain and was hoping for extended power train warranty and all I got was 20k in reward points (prob worth $50) and some maintenance plan that gives me roughly 2 years of oil changes. :). None of that is exactly great.

Jgrimberg1979

Reaction score
That exactly what happens. It breaks down no where near the stealership. They are making a mistake. They are only replacing one side. I even offered to pay for the materials so I don’t find myself or my family in that situation. On top of that I own a business and we have a fleet of cars and trucks. Most of which are gm. So this decision is a poor decision

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this shit out…the latest GM TechLink publication shows on Page 4 they recently updated the TSB from 8k miles to 16k miles related to the TSB for the lifter replacement, meaning that if you have less than 16k miles they'll replace both sides.

https://gm-techlink.com/wp-content/...nthly-Tips-and-New-Information-May-2022v3.pdf
1652824977654.png

Here's the biggest kick in the crotch for me...mine was just worked on less than a month ago at 9,100 miles and they only replaced the one side. I contacted my dealer and they see the TSB was updated on April 26th. My vehicle went in for service on April 25th and they got it back to me on April 27th. So while it was being worked on, the TSB was updated to replace all lifters when I only got the left-side replaced.

The service manager was going to ask his GM rep if they can bring it back in to have the other side replaced, but he's seen other situations like that where since the service ticket was opened prior to the TSB being changed, they won't honor it. So in other words, I'm back to waiting for the other side to go bad. Still waiting on confirmation from the dealer, but from his description it doesn't sound likely.

Jgrimberg1979

Reaction score
Yeah mine is getttinf just one side fixed but guess what. They are replacing the lifters with the same part. No changes in parts. So you may be getting bad lifters till