Lifters, piston slap, or normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fantastic! Now you can drive it another 200K without being annoyed/worried by the lifter noise. Glad you didn't have to replace the cam. My Morels are still quiet too, thankfully.
Seriously. The whole point of doing the 6.2 over the blower was so I can get a newer engine in there. I am so relieved the money I spent wasn't wasted. I am going to the track Friday to get some times. Will race my friends 6.2 Raptor.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got some 1/4 mile runs in Friday. Was about 90 degrees, pretty bad air.

Was going 14.2 at 99.7 MPH all 4 runs. Full weight, full tank of gas.

My 0-60 was only 6 seconds, so I was 7/10ths off my normal 0-60 times when it's like 60 out. If I was doing my normal 5.3 0-60 time, I feel like that's at least in the high 13s at 102ish.

I was still running factory pushrods because the hardened ones got lost in the mail and also I have a strong suspicion slathering RTV on my leaky y-pipe may have clogged the cats. Truck just felt really lazy after I re-did the y-pipe connection. Had no snap out of 1st like it normally does. Not happy with these Kooks at all, I'd rather just have slip fit connections because they're easier to seal with RTV. The ball socket connection moves around so the RTV gets loosened up. I have exhaust smell in the cabin even after warranty repair.

The good news is the cold tapping is still gone and oil pressure is awesome.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got some 1/4 mile runs in Friday. Was about 90 degrees, pretty bad air.

Was going 14.2 at 99.7 MPH all 4 runs. Full weight, full tank of gas.

My 0-60 was only 6 seconds, so I was 7/10ths off my normal 0-60 times when it's like 60 out. If I was doing my normal 5.3 0-60 time, I feel like that's at least in the high 13s at 102ish.

I was still running factory pushrods because the hardened ones got lost in the mail and also I have a strong suspicion slathering RTV on my leaky y-pipe may have clogged the cats. Truck just felt really lazy after I re-did the y-pipe connection. Had no snap out of 1st like it normally does. Not happy with these Kooks at all, I'd rather just have slip fit connections because they're easier to seal with RTV. The ball socket connection moves around so the RTV gets loosened up. I have exhaust smell in the cabin even after warranty repair.

The good news is the cold tapping is still gone and oil pressure is awesome.
Good deal on the valvetrain noise being resolved... I wonder why you are so sluggish though.
The 90 heat absolutely kills power big time...
You'll have to go out on a cooler day to compare.
Maybe after all the issues and fixes you've done, maybe you have some fouled plugs
or even plug wires that aren't awesome anymore ???? just thinkin out loud
30+ gallons of fuel is about 210 lbs too !!
I try to get a consistent feel to compare results with about 1/2+ tank of gas if possible
Certainly can tell when it's "bloated" (besides fat driver-me)

Thanks for following up on this

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal on the valvetrain noise being resolved... I wonder why you are so sluggish though.
The 90 heat absolutely kills power big time...
You'll have to go out on a cooler day to compare.
Maybe after all the issues and fixes you've done, maybe you have some fouled plugs
or even plug wires that aren't awesome anymore ???? just thinkin out loud
30+ gallons of fuel is about 210 lbs too !!
I try to get a consistent feel to compare results with about 1/2+ tank of gas if possible
Certainly can tell when it's "bloated" (besides fat driver-me)

Thanks for following up on this
Yeah it felt way slower than normal. 1st gear usually snaps me hard in the seat and it just kinda revved.

The plugs were all good. I am going to check the y-pipe out, I bet there's a piece of RTV covering the cat. One good thing about the headers is the y-pipe takes like 5 minutes to get off.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the 3/8, .025" shorter pushrods today after they finally arrived.

Much snappier throttle, the stockers were likely not up to the task. It's 94 out today and truck feels itself again. Will see if I can get a 0-60 time Wednesday when its cooler out. If that goes well, I am gonna go back to the track.

It's also even quieter with the right length pushrods. Very happy with the engine now. Excellent oil pressure and very quiet. No more buyers remorse.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ripping again. I changed too many parameters before the track so I don't know what fixed the problem. Either pushrods, gas, or my tune.

I had changed
-Injection timing back to stock 5.3 settings
-Got rid of the E47 mix
-Shorter pushrods

It was actually backfiring and stuttering at wide open throttle before these changes, so I don't think that 14.2 is even close to what it should be doing. I'll head back when it's cooler.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was somewhat simple.
I had just learned about pushrod length and lifter preload with LS7 lifters.
first thing i thought of was your issue, but it would be a clear tick tick tick lifter sound.

OP
OP
L

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear it was somewhat simple.
I had just learned about pushrod length and lifter preload with LS7 lifters.
first thing i thought of was your issue, but it would be a clear tick tick tick lifter sound.

Thanks.

The noise was from having too much lifter bore clearance. Likely the Morels have a bigger diameter than Johnson.

The sluggishness I think was a fueling issue, not related to pushrod length. I changed some parameters in my tune and also filled with e-85 before racing and it felt like a dog.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

The noise was from having too much lifter bore clearance. Likely the Morels have a bigger diameter than Johnson.

The sluggishness I think was a fueling issue, not related to pushrod length. I changed some parameters in my tune and also filled with e-85 before racing and it felt like a dog.
Yeah, a small diameter Johnson is usually a bad thing. Lol.