Lifter Squeak!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmunRoo

Reaction score
Hey Y'all!

So my Yukon developed a squeak along bank 2, possibly in the back two cylinders. If I had to describe it, i would say it sounds like birds. I'll attach a video i found on youtube of a guy who had the same issue on his camaro. for him it ended up being a bad lifter.

So the purpose here is to find out if anyone else has come across this issue and what was done about it. My Yukon has about 104K now. i've had it since 91K. The problem came on after a road trip from Chicago to NC and back. I'm planning on replacing All 16 lifters and pushrods if I can't find the cause to be something else. I'm planning on using high performance replacement parts. It seems like a little overkill but I do want to slap on a supercharger next spring.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
AmunRoo

AmunRoo

Reaction score
ok, i couldn't find the camaro video anymore, but here is the same issue on a corvette

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s another from my engine after a cheap lifter tray let a lifter twist in it’s bore just enough to scar the cam and chip the roller.

When you’re ready for the cam swap and start putting your parts list together, lots of people around here will help you out. I ended up with a cam motion stage 2 truck cam and I’m really happy with it.

OP
OP
AmunRoo

AmunRoo

Reaction score
Here’s another from my engine after a cheap lifter tray let a lifter twist in it’s bore just enough to scar the cam and chip the roller.

When you’re ready for the cam swap and start putting your parts list together, lots of people around here will help you out. I ended up with a cam motion stage 2 truck cam and I’m really happy with it.

Can you tell me a little more about your cam swap? i'm still debating on whether i want to upgrade mine.

My plan is to tear down the top half and replace the lifters and pushrods. i'm not sure if i should replace the rockers. i will be upgrading the valve cover for sure and adding a catchcan. These are the parts i am planning to use, including a new radiator.

I plan on supercharging the truck this coming spring!

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me a little more about your cam swap? i'm still debating on whether i want to upgrade mine.

My plan is to tear down the top half and replace the lifters and pushrods. i'm not sure if i should replace the rockers. i will be upgrading the valve cover for sure and adding a catchcan. These are the parts i am planning to use, including a new radiator.

I plan on supercharging the truck this coming spring!
Sure. Here’s the whole setup. I’ll spare you the saga and just linked to the final setup I’m happy with.

Post in thread '2012 Yukon XL Denali 6.2L Cam Swap Thread'
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...nali-6-2l-cam-swap-thread.121671/post-1616690

If you’re gonna supercharge, @Foggy can give you some pointers. Short version: you’ll want a cam designed specifically for the 5.3 with a blower. Also, 3-row radiators are reportedly less efficient than 2-rows. And you’ll wanna upgrade that transmission cooler and move it below the bumper or you‘ll be fighting temps if you’re gonna do any towing.

Also - factory rockers are stout, no need to replace unless you’re gonna play around with valve geometry. Back in the LS1 days GM had a problem with the needle bearings falling out of some of them and ending up in the oil pan. A whole cottage industry of trunnion upgrades sprouted and has been alive and well ever since. Don’t know of a single case of a trunnion failure on a Gen IV engine.

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@AmunRoo unless you see any red flags with your rocker arms I would reuse them, same with pushrods. The main parts that are being damaged here are the lifters and the cam.

Lifters, lister trays, and cam is the base of what’s needs to be replaced. Everything else is icing on the cake unless you going with AFM delete then the list gets a little longer.

OP
OP
AmunRoo

AmunRoo

Reaction score
My truck actually does not have AFM, which is a load off my shoulders. I believe it o ky has the VVT.
I'm debating on whether I want a stage 1 or stage 2 cam at this point. I want a solid daily driver and I don't really want a choppy idle. I do plan on re-ising the stock rockers, as long as they're still good to go. I definitely am changing the push rods and lifters on both banks. You mentioned getting a 5.3 cam. Does it matter that I have the L92? I actually like the cam motion stage 2 cam specs. Especially that you still get a tame idle. Was also considering doing headers while the heads are out too.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck actually does not have AFM, which is a load off my shoulders. I believe it o ky has the VVT.
I'm debating on whether I want a stage 1 or stage 2 cam at this point. I want a solid daily driver and I don't really want a choppy idle. I do plan on re-ising the stock rockers, as long as they're still good to go. I definitely am changing the push rods and lifters on both banks. You mentioned getting a 5.3 cam. Does it matter that I have the L92? I actually like the cam motion stage 2 cam specs. Especially that you still get a tame idle. Was also considering doing headers while the heads are out too.

I appreciate the responses. Thanks.
Definitely want to go with a cam designed for the 6.2, for sure. I'm really happy with the Cam Motion stage 2 cam, and see no downsides with it. Smooth idle and great performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts