Lifter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan Krizan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a 2000 Tahoe z71 with the 5.7 engine. Albeit it is a 2000, it's a 2000 CLASSIC model, which is closer to the 99 model year then the later 2000 model year, but I didn't want to post in the wrong section of the forum, so if a moderator wants to move this thread, please do.

I'm going to be swapping the fuel injection spider to the MPI injection, and since the engine has 180K and I have a lifter that is acting up, I might as well do the lifters at the same time while I'm there.

HOWEVER, I'm getting some conflicting answers from people and other sites I've been reading. Some say I have the pull the heads to remove the lifters, others say I do not, that it's the later year engines that the heads have to be pulled.

Have any of you that have done lifters on this engine know what the real answer is?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who have stripped down these trucks, including motors, and then built them back up again. They will chime in with their recommendations and perspectives.

I wish you the best of outcomes on your project.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a 2000 Tahoe z71 with the 5.7 engine. Albeit it is a 2000, it's a 2000 CLASSIC model, which is closer to the 99 model year

If you've got a SBC then you do not have to pull the heads to get the lifters out. L31 motor? The next generation switched to the 5.3 LS motor and you have to pull the heads to get at the lifters.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Swat said. I just sold my vin R 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 some months ago. It was rocking around 290k+ miles on it. The Vin R 5.7L is the same block as the 305, 327 and even older 350's. Heres the golden rule.

4 bolts hold on water pump (2) on each side then you have a Gen 1 SBC and the lifters can be changed out by pulling the intake manifold/plenum and valve covers.

If there are perimeter bolts (6) bolts holding water pump to block then you have a Gen 3 or 4 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 and 6.2L and the heads have to be pulled to even access the lifters let alone replace them. (But you can spin the cam backwards and replace the cam without pulling the lifters)

My vin R had a lifter or two that would get real noisy when it was around 15deg or so outside but then they would pump up and shut up within 30 mins of doing it. They probably all need replaced. They made the engine sound like it was going to come apart and made me pucker the first time they showed their ugly heads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons